Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burnin oil

Dammit. 93 GM.

Inherited the car- dealer serviced it's whole life to the extreme. Around 132,000 miles, but it's otherwise pristine mechanically.

Burnin oil is pi$$in me off. read that it may be a valve seal issue. What options am I lookin at and Approx costs?

I kinda fell in "like" with the car, and you guys seem pretty damn gung-ho about them. I want to keep the car if this is something that can be fixed short of a rebuilt engine. Ideas?

Thanks in advance guys.

Riley
    Riley

'93 GM-LS. currently undergoing "degrampafication"
    2002 Honda VT1800C-bagger custom

;) Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more willing to die. ;)

You can do the valve seals with the heads on the engine. Its a common thing on the earlier 4.6 motors to eat the seals and start burning oil.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00040.html
    http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00094.html

Might be of help to you. Not really sure how much time such a job takes, or what you'd expect to pay for a shop to do it, but apparently with the correct tools, its not a major operation to do yourself.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bummer

Comment

With the correct tools, 'tis an easy job. Without the correct tools and/or you've never really done any sort of 'heavy' mechanical work, it'll be a bitch. The cost to have a shop would be around $500 or so minimum. Most places would probably want to charge more. I'd have to wager how much oil would be burnt leaving it as-is against the cost of having the seals replaced.

Comment

Ya but if you don't get it fixed your engine will die earilier.
          Last edited by zwack88; 05-28-2006, 07:39 PM.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
            Ya but if you don't get it fixed your engine will die earilier.
            132,000 miles is quite enough, I do believe. Spending $500-$1100 on valve stem seal replacement in an engine with that high milage isn't very wise. $500-$1100 will buy more than enough oil to carry the engine well into the 250,000-300,000 mile range, if it will make it there.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              You can do the valve seals with the heads on the engine. Its a common thing on the earlier 4.6 motors to eat the seals and start burning oil.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00040.html
              http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00094.html

Might be of help to you. Not really sure how much time such a job takes, or what you'd expect to pay for a shop to do it, but apparently with the correct tools, its not a major operation to do yourself.
              EXACTLY what I was lookin for. Me and my next door neighbor (GM- master tech- will handle it. THANKS)
              Riley

;) Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more willing to die. ;)

Comment

It will last fine.....valve seals dont kill engines, loss of oil pressure does....by wear or lack of oil.

Comment

Those fuckers on CVN fucked me over again. Most of them said that when I use to post there.
                  2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

It will run just fine. Its just annoying. The use of 10-30 mobile one slowed ange's consumption. It starts burning fast when its due for an oil change tho. Also check you pcv, don't want to loose any more oil than necessary.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Neighbor (best mechanic I've ever known) said before I even posted here that the early '90's modular engines had a tendency to leak from the valve seals. It wasn't truly burning oil in the sense you normally think of (getting past the rings). He hadn't done one yet, but also said it probably wouldn't be a big deal to replace them. Now keep in mind that he's a lifelong (GM- here meaning General Motors) master tech, but works on anything with wheels out of his garage nights.
                      Anyway- we have a friendly blue oval - gm/chevy rivalry goin on, and we are quick to point out the other's brand-favorite's shortcomings. He has always said he's a big fan of the modular V8, and it's just an unfortunate thing about the seals on these years.

I was just more or less confirming what we were thinking about the seals. I'm an avid motorcyclist and rely on my owners board at (VTXOA.com) when I have questions. I figure the same goes here. Who better to ask than the guys who have first-hand knowledge, right?

The car is growing on me the more I drive it, and there is going to be some suspension upgrades coming shortly. When the time comes (maybe this fall), I'll tear into it and replace the seals.

While the milage is up there (132,000), the car has been totally pampered- truly- grandpa driven since new, and I remember the day he got it. The milage comes from occaisional trips to Florida from Wisconsin,
                      It's got a bunch of new/recently dealer-done parts like new steering components and brakes.

While climbing around underneath, I took a gander at the rear sway bar, which looks just a hair bigger diameter than the average clothes hanger, lol.

Neighbor has some tricks for the tranny planned too.

My new Avatar kinda sums up where the car is headed. (couple of "Mercury" and "Grand Marquis" emblems, some trimming, some hot glue, and trim adhesive marks the first step.

Thanks again guys. I've done a bunch of "how-to's" on my 'cycle board, and plan to put up some GM how-to's on some server space I have as I complete them.
                      Riley

Comment

132k on a 4.6 is not a high mileage engine. Its not uncommon for those motors to go double that without much to report other than the valve seal thing. Plenty of Townies over on lincolnsonline with over 200k on them.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by riley
                          Neighbor (best mechanic I've ever known) said before I even posted here that the early '90's modular engines had a tendency to leak from the valve seals. It wasn't truly burning oil in the sense you normally think of (getting past the rings). He hadn't done one yet, but also said it probably wouldn't be a big deal to replace them. Now keep in mind that he's a lifelong (GM- here meaning General Motors) master tech, but works on anything with wheels out of his garage nights.
                          Anyway- we have a friendly blue oval - gm/chevy rivalry goin on, and we are quick to point out the other's brand-favorite's shortcomings. He has always said he's a big fan of the modular V8, and it's just an unfortunate thing about the seals on these years.

I was just more or less confirming what we were thinking about the seals. I'm an avid motorcyclist and rely on my owners board at (VTXOA.com) when I have questions. I figure the same goes here. Who better to ask than the guys who have first-hand knowledge, right?

The car is growing on me the more I drive it, and there is going to be some suspension upgrades coming shortly. When the time comes (maybe this fall), I'll tear into it and replace the seals.

While the milage is up there (132,000), the car has been totally pampered- truly- grandpa driven since new, and I remember the day he got it. The milage comes from occaisional trips to Florida from Wisconsin,
                          It's got a bunch of new/recently dealer-done parts like new steering components and brakes.

While climbing around underneath, I took a gander at the rear sway bar, which looks just a hair bigger diameter than the average clothes hanger, lol.

Neighbor has some tricks for the tranny planned too.

My new Avatar kinda sums up where the car is headed. (couple of "Mercury" and "Grand Marquis" emblems, some trimming, some hot glue, and trim adhesive marks the first step.

Thanks again guys. I've done a bunch of "how-to's" on my 'cycle board, and plan to put up some GM how-to's on some server space I have as I complete them.
                          That emblem is AWESOME!!!!
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Keep your eyes open for a nice replacement engine. Swapping in something newer is as easy, or easier, than doing the valve seal job. A little extra work will get you a newer trans too!

Ray
                            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

92-95 4.6's have the valve seal problem, 96+ do not.

Having the valve seals done is not cheap, I would suggest dealing with it until you can find a good price on a PI motor to swap to.
                              2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Working...
                              X