925lb/in Front spring install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

925lb/in Front spring install.

I figured this is kind of important for the suspension section so I am adding it here.

I installed my 925lb/in springs this past weekend. Went in quick and easy. Here is down low. These springs are replacing stock civilian springs with about 7 years of use on them. Rear springs did not change and are factory polive rear coils (175kb/in). The new front springs have a 925lb/in rate, and are 12" tall un-installed. The change in ride height is almost exactly 1-1/8" lower. The ride is much more feeling, but not abusive. A worthy upgrade for an almost race feel. It's not lose enough for my liking, but is fairly well balanced. I'd say a 200-225lb/in in the rear would be balanced. For you race guys, I'd suggest a 1000lb/in or 1150lb/in or maybe even a little more (road course racers, not drag racers). Well below are pics of the install and comparison in ride height.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-31-2006, 12:06 PM.

That looks really kick ass. If I ever want to drop my car I know how now
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Where did you get the springs?
      Car looks great dropped in the front!
      GaryM

Comment

Here is a link to where I got them and the other springs rates. This is the weakest one they sell, so the higher rate you go, the less of a drop you will get.

Front springs
        Speedwaymotors.com Linky

In the near future I also plan to get new rear springs as well.
        Speedwaymotors.com Linky

I put together an animation showing the drop difference in the front. It's a 3mb .gif, so give it a second to load. Not exactly the same angle, but if you pay attention to the front tire and the distance between it and the fender you get the idea.

Comment

I can def tell the diff... Me want!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Badass....I'm ordering my 1000 lb ones today....
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ill get the 1150s, for the extra heft of the cleveland...

Comment

stockcarproducts has 1300 & 1400 for 10 bucks each...

Comment

1300?

Wonder how that would ride...

Comment

Like a fucking dumptruck tom. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride
                      Like a fucking dumptruck tom. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
                      Not at all :rebel:

Comment

i'm not building a box that rides like a dump truck

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It'd be stiff, but not THAT stiff.

Comment

I agree, now that I have felt civilian, PI, and 925lb/in springs. I think 1300 would be pretty rough, bot no more rough than a lowered ricer. The ride I have now is pretty comparable to something like a new compact car, but with much less body roll.
                            Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I just did some quick figurin', and with 1150lb/in 12" springs the ride hieght would drop between 5/8"-3/4" instead of the 1-1/8" drop that I got with the 925lb/in 12" springs. Which would lead me to belive that the 1000lb/in 12" springs would drop the ride height about 15/16".

Comment

Working...
                              X