Rocinante, my '85 GM LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocinante, my '85 GM LS

Her name is Rocinante because she reminds me of Don Quixote's old but reliable gray horse.
    She was given to me by some friends, who were moving out of state.
    Zero rust, and when PO had a collision with another car, this car had no damage, while the other was a total write-off!?
    Also has a nice finish, though the nose has pockmarks and some areas where paint chipped off, from years of road debris.

Here's the supposed damage to the rear drivers side wheel well. Can you find it?
    Last edited by Big Rectangular Car; 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM.
    Rocinante, 1985 Grand Marquis LS with all the trimmings.

Nice car!
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Wow that thing looks really clean! I like it. You planning on modding it?
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Very nice, it looks familiar

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
        1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Mod it, eh? You mean turn it into a Donk?
          Or maybe turn it into a hybrid.
          Seriously, keeping it as well preserved as I can afford to is my goal.
          Right now it's due for a tune-up. The air filter is rather old, and sticky. Not to mention the breather filter is soaked in oil. Gack.
          There are a couple of known problems, one is the transmission, which in spite of being serviced regularly, is giving me the occasional hesitation between gear changes, especially when the engine is first started in the morning. It acts as though there isn't enough fluid, but there is.
          Maybe it's my imagination, but if I have the gear lever in D instead of the auto-overdrive D, it doesn't seem to have any trouble.
          The other is the A/C is not cold, though I haven't checked it myself yet. It was redone a couple years ago for the new refrigerant. It might possibly have a leak somewhere. Not that I need A/C here much, being on the coast, 50-70 F year round, but if I took a trip inland this summer, I'll need it. It gets over 100 F on occasion in Salinas Valley.
          Last edited by Big Rectangular Car; 06-02-2006, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty
            Very nice, it looks familiar
            I see! I like the wheels you have, there.
            My son wants to modify the car, "make it look gangsta'", he'd even pay, but I said, no, of course. I'd like to keep it all original, since the original stuff is in such good shape.

Comment

That hesitation problem is probably caused by a TV lever grommet being missing...

Someone post a pic of it!!!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I take it one of these is the TV cable... I'm not familiar with Ford products, yet... :P

Comment

This car doesn't have a TV cable, but uses a solid rod instead - the rod connected to the lever where cables for the gas pedal and the cruise control servo also connect to. The plastic grommet of this particular car in the pics seems in pretty good shape, is that your car?

Comment

Yes, it is.
                    The PO said he had the transmission serviced regularly from when he got it off his mother in 95, and it was serviced by Ford before that. The PO thought it was possible the transmission is just getting old, it has 187K miles on it. I thought if there's any simple preventative maintanance to be done with the transmission, I'd be happy to find out what it is, and do it. If the trans wears out, then so be it, since I'll still be getting my money's worth. Definitely worth replacing the transmission in this, down the road. I just hope not too soon, I have been babying this car, so far.

Comment

Nice ride, and welcome.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Nice!
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Aargh!

I just found out the name Rocinante is taken. Not that it's a problem with having coincidental names on vehicles, but this is the name of John Steinbeck's truck in his book Travels with Charley.

http://www.steinbeck.org/Rocinante.html

Problem is, I live in Steinbeck country. Everyone will think I got it from Travels With Charley, and I'm not crazy about Steinbeck...

I think I will name her Milagro, instead, which is "Miracle" in Spanish. Then again, maybe I should look that up, as well.

Comment

The name has stuck, so it stays. Never mind about Steinbeck, I have more important things to do, like getting my beebee her tuneup.

Comment

Fuck Steinbeck! lol
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X