Blew out my shock mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew out my shock mounts

Some 'spirited' driving this weekend led to 3 of the 4 bolts on my front lower shock mounts to be ripped out, along with the threads that were holding them in. Note: this is a 1987, not sure how that affects things. Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do now. I'm not sure that I've got much room to re-tap and install larger bolts, and even so it would seem that the metal on the lower control arm really isn't up to the task of handling all that force through just a couple threads.

Any suggestions?

nuts and bolts.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
      nuts and bolts.
      Have you actually done this before? I don't think there's really any room to put a wrench or socket or anything to hold a nut or bolt from above.

Comment

How about the other way round - inser the bolts from above, and use not regular hex-headed ones, but the ones with round heads and square "wedge" portion of the stem under the head (kinda like furniture bolts, only in grade 8 steel) - that may take care of the clearance issues as the nuts and the lock washers will be on the underside the control arm. Haven't tested it, just trying to think logically here.

Comment

I have put bolts and nuts in mine before. Is your ride height lower or higher than stock? Bump stops removed?Nuts will work from the top. I used ARP ss nuts and bolts. I have a lot of them from building engines with there dress up bolt kits
          Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
            I have put bolts and nuts in mine before. Is your ride height lower or higher than stock? Bump stops removed?Nuts will work from the top. I used ARP ss nuts and bolts. I have a lot of them from building engines with there dress up bolt kits
            My ride height is much higher than stock, however the coils on my springs are also much thicker than stock ones. Bump stops are all in place.

Comment

I agree with above...nuts and bolts..

MUCH stronger than stock!!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                I agree with above...nuts and bolts..

MUCH stronger than stock!!
                Grade 8 bolts have a Minimum tensile stregnth of 150,000 PSI
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

use 1/4 20 clips and bolts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

One of mine blew out, used the clip and 1/4-20 bolt and clippy thing method.

Ivan: those round head bolts with the square shank under them are called carriage bolts.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                      Ivan: those round head bolts with the square shank under them are called carriage bolts.
                      Ya, those exactly, now I remember that's what the label at Lowe's read - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by svt87
                        My ride height is much higher than stock, however the coils on my springs are also much thicker than stock ones. Bump stops are all in place.
                        You might need longer shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                          use 1/4 20 clips and bolts
                          I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by svt87
                            I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think he means U-nuts.

Comment

Yes, thats exactly what he means. Couldn't think of the proper name for it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X