Best Paint for Grill/Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Paint for Grill/Trim

Im thinking about painting my headlight bezels and grill black. What method and type of paint do you guys recomend so I dont have to redo this job in a couple weeks from kamakazi bugs.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

When I did the front end of my old F-150, I scrubbed it down real good, then laid down coats of Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black, followed by a couple coats of Duplicolor Clearcoat. It held up good when cleaning with a pressure washer, too.

Before

After

On the '91 GM, I used Krylon Satin Black for plastics. The only thing that I messed up on was that I should have used an adhesion promoter. Reason is, while following a truck, dirt got kicked up and chipped some of the paint off. Not much, but I will have to repaint it sooner or later.

Before

After

I would recommend doing it the way I did the F-150. It held up much better than the '91's did.

Comment

Did your rough it up with sand paper or just clean it really well?
      -Matt

Comment

For the F-150, I just scrubbed it down good. For the '91 GM, I used a 320 grit sandpaper (one of those wet sand, sponge type) and went over it lightly. Mainly to get the grime off of the plastic.

Comment

When I did my dads grille on the merc I sanded it down to give the primer something to grip on to. After I sanded it down I washed it up really good with Dawn. Great degreaser and really cheap. Then primed and painted it.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I love that truck, mang...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Krylon Fusion for plastics...clean and paint, no prep needed. Just be careful it likes to run on chrome at first.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I took some 400 grit to the trim and hit it with satin black krylon fusion.

Inspiration

The guy who owns this 83' Bird bought my Zephyr.
                -Matt

Comment

That will looks sweet with the blackout and the amber lenses you made.
                  2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Working...
                  X