designing a stencil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

designing a stencil

I'm trying to design a pattern that I can cut out use as a stencil. I'm planning on putting the following one the air box of the CV. Just wanting to try something different. So far, I'm thinking that I will use those full sheets of paper with the sticky side on back. I picked some up, but I think the paint will bleed through. So, I'm going to pick up some laminate. I'll print up my pattern, laminate it, then cut it out. This way, I'll keep the light adhesive side of the paper useful, and it won't bleed through. At least, that's the plan so far. Cutting these things out has proven to be incredibly difficult. I'm using my hobby knife to make it a little less painful.

I'd like to know what you guys think of the different patterns and color schemes. We all know the airbox is black, so the background is just that, black. Current plan is to have the "Ford" in black and the oval and flames in Lt. Titanium (gotta use up the paint ). Their actual size will be about 3"wide x 4.75"tall. So, let me know what you think of the pattern and which color scheme you like. Thanks.

1. Small lettering/oval line
    2. no line/larger lettering
    3. titanium
    4. red flame/titianium logo
    Last edited by monterey1962; 08-30-2006, 02:12 PM.

I'd go with the red one...it seems to have more attitude to it...
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

2 or 3

Comment

Four!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I went ahead and finished this up today. I put it on S.U.'s airbox instead of the CV's. It doesn't look too bad, but it could have been better.

Let me know what you think. Keep it or get rid of it?

Comment

That takes skill... Great werk!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Ya mang that looks good! Now wash up that engine bay.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

That turned out real nice!
                '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I know, it's pretty dirty under there. I'll clean up the engine bay when I pull the engine.

The final result isn't quite as I wanted it. I should have used a different color for the oval, but it's too late for that now (hmm, unless I take the oval off with a razor blade and just make a new one . . . hmm). The camera hides the roughness of the edges, too. I may have gotten a little impatient when pulling the stencil up. The flames came out great, but the oval and lettering are a little rough around the edges.

I found a good product combo to make the stencil. Now I know what to use when I make more. I went to Wal-mart and bought sheets of sticker paper because they have a lighter, somewhat easier to remove adhesive. I printed the design on that sheet, then put a sheet of self-adhesive laminate on top of that. I was surprised to find that the laminate allowed me to guide the knife better, but the lettering was still a bitch to do. The laminate kept the paint where it was supposed to. No bleeding at all. I'll probably keep at it and try something different. I'd like to do a flame pattern that would cover the entire air box cover. I may have to check into airbrushing or something just to see what else I can do.

Comment

That looks good!

In the future are you gonna carry that white/red theme to other parts of the engine bay?
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                      In the future are you gonna carry that white/red theme to other parts of the engine bay?
                      I'm not sure. The Lt. Titanium seems to be a little too light for S.U.'s engine bay. The next engine will have a dark theme to it. I may just mess around with a few things for now just to see what works for color and what doesn't.

Comment

AWESOME!
                        RADICAL!
                        COOL!
                        OUTRAGEOUS!
                        GROOVY!
                        TUBULAR!
                        GNARLY!
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Someone's been talking to Sniper...
                          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

i plan on getting a Ford Blue paint for the plastic...Fuzion paint for plastic. and do som things under the hood. i am going for a custom look w/ Baby and doing a performance setup w/ Vickie.
                            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

not bad at all
                              LTD is still here

Comment

Working...
                              X