how to replace shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to replace shocks

hey my origional shocks are totally gone, and I want to replace them this summer. Whats a good shock brand and how difficult is it to change shocks on a panther. Anything to do while im in there or watch out for? thanks!
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

What kinda ride you goin for?
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Front or back shock, or both? Neither are hard to do exactly, tho the back ones can be a bitch to access.

Cheater method of doing the fronts:
      If the nuts won't come off the shocks, and the whole shock is just spinning, just take a socket that fits the nut, and attach a long extension, biggest you can get so its like 2-3 feet long. Rock the extension back and forth till the stud snaps. Unbolt the two bolts at the bottom and pull it out. Install the new ones.

Back ones, the top bolt is a pain in the ass. I've never done them so no useful advice there. I hear the easiest way to do them is to get a wrench on the nut and use a pair of vise grips to turn the shock itself till it unthreads all the way.

I'll let other people offer up shock advice, opinions abound. I have KYB GR-2 on the front of my car and I'm happy with them, but I'm sure others have more input based on what kind of ride you're looking for.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

id like a firmer ride, cuz right now its very sloppy and i can feel every bump in the road.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Get the KYB GR-2 shocks, for the police car application.

They will give you the ride you want, and I have htme in my car now, and lots of others do too.

I am only upgrading cause I want a more race ready setup...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The Carrera shocks i have(had) in both cars are a firm ride but not harsh, well to me atleast.

For the rear shocks i did kinda like Gadget said, but i rocked the shock around its top nut till it broke.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Ditto for the removals. Just be careful with the shocks, you can unscrew the piston of the rod and the shock can explode....it's messy.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                Ditto for the removals. Just be careful with the shocks, you can unscrew the piston of the rod and the shock can explode....it's messy.

Had that happen. The shock spooged in my hand when I pulled it. Nasty stuff.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine blew up at Jiffy Lube....covered one of the bays with oil. Not fun.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

get a set of ratcheting wrenches to get to the top rear shock nut......hold the shock shaft with vise grips
                    kyb gr2's for the police cars are the best bang for the buck ($around100 for all 4)

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                      kyb gr2's for the police cars are the best bang for the buck ($around100 for all 4)
                      Unfortunately that's not what Advance have to say about that:
                      KYB GR2 for a cop 2001 Crown Vickie

Comment

Sale Price: $25.48

Multiply that by 4 and you get $101.92. Sounds pretty close to $100 to me

Comment

lol.....

ratcheting wrenches are a must for the rear - if you are lucky and the shocks have been replaced once, some aftermarket shocks have biult in areas you can hold with a wrench to keep the shaft from turning. My monroe's have these, and make me look forward to upgrading to KYB's
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

actually the rear shocks pass the shock test, but the front are definately out.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                              Sale Price: $25.48
                              WHERE???

Comment

Working...
                              X