Need Help Deciding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Deciding!

I have finally decided to get rid of my chevy cavalier and buy a real car. I have found a 1997 MGM GS on sale for $3500 and a 1999 MGM LS for $7500. They both have around 25000 miles on the odometer but I can't decide on which one to get. The 97' is a great deal but for some reason I think the 99' will suit me better in the long run since it has a better resale value and I won't be bothered with as many repairs such as the infamous intake manifold. (Not to mention how nice the 99' looks) Basically I am asking if the extra $4000 is worth it in your opinion. Thanks for the help.

PS - Unfortuneately, those are the best prices we could agree on

Either one will have the plastic intake manifolds unless it would replaced at one point with one with a aluminum crossover. They both seem like good deals though. Pick when one you like best. Also Welecome!
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

When did they fix the intake problem? I thought by '97 they did..

I'd go for the '97. I like the looks of the '95-'97 GM's, plus you'll get a little better MPG with the '97 because of aerodynamics.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I think 01 was when they had the new intakes.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

The 97' is the overall better buy, in my opinion. And I wouldnt be worried too much about resale value with either car, its not going to be much by the time your finished with it.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I like the body of the 99 better, but I still wouldnt kick a 97 out of bed :smirk:

I almost bought a nice black 97 GMLS HPP...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

If it was between a 97 and 01 Id say get the 01. But since the 99 still has the same type of engine as the 97, Im gonna go with 97. Use the extra money for mods and have a bad ass 97.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

99 has more factory upgrades...better brakes.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just my luck. The owner of the 99' sold it already before I even got out of work. Anyways, I ended up talking the guy down to $2500 for the 1997 because of a couple small dents in the side and the half cracked leather. Anyways, thanks for the help. Time to build myself a hot rod.

Comment

the 99 has bigger brakes, and a better rear suspension, but for a 4 g savings, might be easier to upgrade the 97 brakes to 98-02.........all depends if you like wrenching or not........it's my life hehe
                    welcome to gmn!
                    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Have fun! These cars are great
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

im a fan of the whale body's but i'd say 97 still.... so dont worry about not getting the other

Comment

BTW.....
                          Be good, if not, be good at it!!

Originally posted by N A
                          RideIt, I hope you know we are going to screw with you because you're the coolest chick on this 'site.
                          Originally posted by p71towny
                          Your one of the most kick ass girls I know.
                          :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf: :golf:

Comment

Welcome to GMN. Got pics of the car?
                            Nick
                            88 Colony Park LS
                            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                            X