How to fix trunk rattles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix trunk rattles

Ok I have my new 12's installed, they sould great on the inside but outside it sounds really shitty. It rattles like no ones business and sounds horrible. I think without the rattles you wouldn't hear much bass outside the car (good thing). I fixed a couple and I plan on taking my rear bumper cover off cause that thing rattles like crazy (was hit in the rear when in service never fixed cause it looked just like a couple of scuffs). I will take that off and tighten some shit down then see how it is after that. So here is my question, if that doesn't work would a dynamat kit fix this problem. You can get them for trunks and if I got that would it help if not fix my problem. In the mean time I really don't want to crank it (which is hard to do right now lol) cause it sounds so bad outside.

Any info or advise would be appreciated.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

you can find problem areas by usuing cardboard and tape and see what goes away.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No shit? Damn I threw away all the boxes they came in yesterday. I will go dig them out to see.

Comment

Yeah, trunk lid does alot...the supports...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ya it does not seem as bad when I apply pressure to the trunk lid. Then if I throw some towards the bottom and hopefully the bumper cover doesn't rattle.

Comment

If you have adjustable bumpers on the trunk you might want to try adjusting them. On my car, I've got these rubber doohickeys at the corner of the body that rest against the trunk lid. Tweak them outward a quarter turn and see if it helps.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

fuck dynamat, go to lowes or home depot or whatever and get some "peel and seal", same as dynamat for like a zillion times cheaper
              also expandable foam between the bumper cover and the steel bumper beam does wonders, fills in trunk support holes nicely and stopped all my rattles
              jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Well I got 95% of the rattles out tonight. Turns out the rattles I thought were from the bumper cover were from the evaporator under the trunk. There were 2 huge rocks stuck in it rattling around in the cover. Got those out and it is like night and day. I may get some of that peel and seal shit for my trunk just to button it up better.

Comment

i know aht you are sayin. i installed some 2 way 6x9s, and they sound great in the car, but outside rattles and sounds like they are farting thru the rear dash. true bass inside and crap outside....wassup with that? i need to get some bolts and long machine screws w/ nuts to secure the speakers better too as soon as i get a spacer since the speaker frame on the back side is wider than the holes.
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Also check you liscense plate. They tend to rattle like crazy. I normally cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the plaet and put behind the plate.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Duce...isnt that a line from the Bloodhound Gang in your sig?
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                      X