Springs are in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springs are in!

Yep, I got the front end done today - installed new rotors with bearings, and since was stripping the thing down to bare spindles I figured it'll be a good time to throw some higher-rate coils there. I ended up getting 5.5x12.5" ones, wire diameter is 0.8" and the inside diameter of the coil is 4". Rated at 1050lbs/in, made by TRW, cost $65, part No. CS7172 at Advance Auto, can be found in the paper catalog only! Took me forever to do the swap, and now that I'm done I can't even go for a test-drive cause I have no shocks in the front now (had to break the old ones off cause the springs wouldn't go out while they were still attached to the frame). I think I'll be getting the KYB-GR2 for cop cars, but it all depends on price and availability...

Oh yeah, the pics - you saw Blaze's car with the new springs, well that's how my car looked like with the stock ones. Now with the new ones she sits just about the same,.

Comment

good deal! sounds like you've been busy! let me know how the springs feel mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The rate in those shocks wont work that well with that heavy of a spring you would be better off with the Afco 1020s I think thats the right one for the front. If your realy wanting cop shocks though I have a set for the front I only used for a bout 2 weeks. They are monroe's Give them to you for half price. The wire diameter should be 1/2 or 5/8.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Turbo, I know Afco 1020s are good, your tan GM handled great with them - problem is they are $55+ each, and I don't have that money right now, plus I can't wait for shippings and stuff like that cause at the moment I have no shocks whatsoever in the front. Your Monroes, are they the gas MAG-RV ones? Shoot me a PM with the price please.

Comment

P/N is 5801ST Perty shure they are Monroe. 20 for both Gets you going untill you can shoot for better.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I'll take them, are you gonna be home tonight at like 9:30-ish?

Comment

If I want it lower, would I need to order custom springs?
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

No. Mine dropped 1-1/8" With TruCoil 925lb/in 12" springs. No modding at all, a direct swap. Working on a set of rears right now, though yours is a bit different in the rear than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                    Ok, I'll take them, are you gonna be home tonight at like 9:30-ish?

call a bit before just in case. Will be around Sat morning but off to pick up anothe CV and two engines in the afternoon If I have a driver that is.

Comment

Blaze- I'm talking 3". My springs are so blown right now that it already sits at least 1.5" lower than my dad's '90.
                      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Well, I went to Dave's tonight, got the shocks in - what a difference in the handling, flew in some sharp right turn one the way back at about 40-45mph and the car didn't even lean much. I can only imagine how it's gonna be when I replace the fucked up lower ball joints.

Comment

Measure it for me Freshmeat. Measuring is the best comparison, because I had old factory springs as well. So we may be working from the same point of origin. Meaning these springs actually drop over 2".

Comment

are you guys gonna get your alignment checked? if so ask them how much it was off, if any.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i'll measure superlincs ride height if u mangs want........it got stockreplacement springs last yr
                              scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X