{INTERIOR} Super Unknown - tripminder installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{INTERIOR} Super Unknown - tripminder installation

Refer to the pic below. I have two tripminders. The first one (on the right) was pulled by the yardsmen from an '89 GM. The second one (on the left) that I pulled, is from a CFI GM and I was able to get all the wiring for it.

The '89 TM has an extra wire that is looped over. Does anyone know why and what it is for? I'm planning to install the wiring and TM in S.U. All info on this is appreciated.

Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 07:01 PM.

thats the same wire that a member here had trouble with, it was causing all sorts of troubles untill (i think) he just snipped the loop. His experince is in one of the tripminder threads here, lemme see if i can find it.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My '86 has that loop. It's gotta be an SEFI thing..
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Here's the wiring that I have:

Here's the problem: I can only find the one plug for the harness (up close in the pic):

I cannot find the second one in there. I'm missing the plug with only two wires coming from it. They are black and green w/white stripe. Does anyone know the significance of these wires? There are no dead end plugs under the hood as far as I can tell. I went and looked under the dash of the CV since it has a TM, but there are no wires to be seen at all. Now, I'm really confused.

Edit: Concerning the lower two plugs, is it possible that I don't even need to worry about finding a two wire plug? On the harness, the two wire plug comes directly off of the three wire plug (black and green w/white stripe wires).
        Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

When i installed mine i just tapped right into the green/white wire and didn't use a harness at all.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I got your answers

the end of the harness with two plugs is deciving. The reson it has two, is because in most applications, the connectors work as a splice-in. On mine, that connector near the peadal needed to be unplugged for the end of the tripminder harness to be attached.
            Notice how one is male, and other is female (on the TM harness), and you can plug them into each other? thats how it works.

The reason one has 3 wires and the other has 2, is becuase the fuel flow wire is used stricktly for the tripminder, so it doesnt exist on the other side of the harness.
            It is odd that you dont have the connector for the other side of it - does the car have cruise control? if not, that would explain that.

so to sum up - all you need to do is plug the female side of the end of the TM harness connector into what you found under the dash, and thats it. Fuel flow and speed are taken care of. now just plug the other end into the clock harness, and hook up the one wire for illumination.
            Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-11-2006, 01:40 AM.
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Awesome info. Thanks, man.

Yes, the '88 has cruise.

Comment

It's in, but with the following problems: "fuel used" isn't working which causes the "mpg" function to not work properly. I'm going to pull the '89 CV's tripminder to see what the plug looks like. Maybe the '88 GM needs that looped wire. I'll also try my other tripminder.

The headlight switch. See the little button on top? That's the little bastard to push to get the lever out. How the heck do you reach that thing without yanking it out?

The "blue wire" was taped right above the speedo cable.

Destruction in progress.

Old clock.

Tripminder.

One issue I have is that the shift indicator is off. While the car was pulled apart, I found that the white plastic clip around the steering shaft was busted. I used a hose clamp to keep it in one place, but the indicator is still off. Is it possible to get a new plastic clip with cable? How does the cable connect to the indicator arm?
                Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM.

Comment

the cable has a little loop on the end of it that loops around a pin in the end of the gear selector colum. Move the lever through the gears and you should be able to follow the moving part down to the end to see where the cable is.
                  sigpic

Comment

The tripminder is now fully functional. I had to add the little loop off of the black wire. It is reading fuel used and providing an accurate mpg. Needless to say, I am very happy right now.

What the CV's wiring looked like:

The GM's rewired. I took the the loop from my other plug and used that.
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Justin, just rotate that white plastic clip till the needle is accurate. Mine is patched with a wire tie, but same theory. I put mine in N and rotated the collar till it was correct.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice job on the tripminder install, I had a little trouble with mine since I didn't have the harnesses that most cars did. I had to run a seperate line to the fuel flow wire on the ecm through the firewall and tap into the vss under the dash.

I had to do the same thing with the one ground as you showed in the last picture. Don't let it touch anything on the dash and keep it taped off, otherwise it will constantly blow fuse 5 (controlls dash lights, rear lights, etc).
                        Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                        2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                        Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                        Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
                        X