Red liquidy substance on driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red liquidy substance on driveway

My grandma as well is a MGM fan she just bought a 99 MGM GS off another old lady anyways. It is now leaking red fluid. Which is what I believe is transmission fluid... but if its leaking fluid what does that mean other then that theres a hole somewhere or a gasket is gone?
    1992 GrandMarquis LS
    The boat with the sound.

Exactly what you just said.

It's a leak somewhere... Clean it off real good with brake cleaner, let it dry, and park it with a peice of carbboard under it overnight.

In the morning, follow the carboard to teh leak
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Could also be power steering fluid...and most likely is. All panthers leak PS fluid.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why do you call it a panther? Was that there Prototype name ?
        1992 GrandMarquis LS
        The boat with the sound.

Comment

Ford once named all the platforms (design and production basis of a car) after animals. The Panther platform (design and production line) was introduced in the late '70s and is still in production. For comparison, the '80s Mustang and Grenada and other wonderful little sprinters were based on the 'Fox' platform.

Comment

Yes as these guys said. If you can't get under to look park it on a clean spot and if the red fluid is up towards the front of the car it would be power steering fluid. If it is in the middle of the car it would be tranny fluid.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Ohh ok sounds interesting enough.
              1992 GrandMarquis LS
              The boat with the sound.

Comment

could be teansmission fluid or power steering fluid.......like mrltd said, most 15-25 year old panthers leak ps fluid

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's probably a leak in the dipstick seal. Happened it mine...

Comment

The power steering fluid we sell at the shop is a color simmilar to brake fluid. I'll bet you money that the power steering fluid in most boxes has long since lost its original color and is now a dirty brown anyway.
                    Dont forget you have transmission fluid cooler lines running to the front of the vehicle as well, and they can leak too.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Well if your grandmothers is a 99 I think it is trans fluid...I am 99.9% sure..Like all said...slide under there....look at the trans pan...Chances are someone did a trans service and may have over torqe the pan bolts and pushed the gasket out.Some times guys will use cheap cork gaskets to make a higher profit...Look under there and clean grime and stuff off..Brake clean works well....The only time my 99 left a mark was after I destroyed the oil pan and trans pan...Put the cardboard under there and wait...If you still can not find it you can go to a shop and have them drop dye in the fluid you think you are loosing and they will have you drive it a couple of days....come back in and use a black lite to find the leak...I get 1/2 labor to drop dye to find the leak...If the customer has us fix the leak I credit them the 1/2 hr...I hope this helps...
                      President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

oops! i didnt notice its a 99. I had mine on the lift the other day, and i noticed my trans pan drain plug/temp sender is leaking and the only way to tighten it is to take the pan back off
                        Ill probabaly just get a nice shiney aftermarket pan with a biult-in drain plug before i put the old one back on.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I need to do this to mine too. It has a small leak around the tailshaft somewhere, not sure if its the VSS or tailshaft gasket or rear seal. I also need to change the pan to one with a drainplug. My current exhaust prevents me from removing the trans pan without unbolting the X pipe, so next service it shall get a drainable pan and external remote filter so I can get away with longer intervals before I have to actually drop the pan and deal with the exhaust.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome well my grandma doesnt stop by until monday so until then all these suggestions are good and worth trying for me thanks.
                            1992 GrandMarquis LS
                            The boat with the sound.

Comment

Yeah so anyways mechanic in the city as she was visting my uncle says its her power steering pump
                              1992 GrandMarquis LS
                              The boat with the sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X