A.C. Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.C. Problems.

the vics a.c. stoped working the other day. at first it was normal and blowing ice cold the next day it was blowing warm. so i decided to recharge the system, seing that its an R12 system i bought a conversion kit and filed it up. it blew somewhat cold that night but now its back to blowing warm. the compressor works fine it shuts on and off as normal but maybe its the filter. does anyone have any suggestions. or know whats wrong with it

IT WORKS!

IT BLOWS ICEEEE COLDDD NOW. I THINK THE SYSTEM WAS AIR BOUND FROM DRAING WHAT WAS LEFT OVER OF THE OLD STUFF.

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
      the compressor works fine it shuts on and off as normal but maybe its the filter. does anyone have any suggestions. or know whats wrong with it
      The compressor shouldn't shut off and on at all if it's charged unless it's under 80% throttle. What oil did you put in your system? PAG OIL IS NOT OK!!! Esteroil works fine. Did you change the orifice tube? They can get real nasty and brittle after a while. what is the year of your car?

Comment

It Works

i ued the oil that came with the conversion kit and it seems to e working fine. but as for the compressor that is also working good. i kind of figured out that the the system was full of air and when i finaly got the entire system full of freeaint the compressor was acting fine and staying on

Comment

oh yeah and is a 90 LX

Comment

if it went from cold to warm in 1 day and you had r12 in it, most likely it wasn't a low charge problem. if it was, you had a serious leak that hasn't been fixed, and the r134 will leak out soon too. i also hope you didn't just fill it with 134 on top of the r12 charge, otherwise you'll be buying all new ac parts very soon. As for "full of air", the compressor doesn't know what type of gas is in there. Its pressure triggered only. You can fill the thing with air and the compressor will run. It won't get cold, but the compressor will run. More than likely theres some electrical problem causing the compressor to not run sometimes and you've now got a mix of r12 and 134, plus two different kinds of oil that results in too much oil total and your ac is going to grenade itself.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A.C.

All of the R12 was drained out more liked sucked out. I work at a ford dealer so after hours I sucked out what ever was left of the old R12 with the machine.. Since i dont have R12 I bought a conversion kit. It came with R134A that has oil in it and leak sealer. I put two cans of it in and they were big cans. After i put them in i went driving around for a while and it was only blowing a little cool almost next to warm. So the next day my brother (who was helping me) drained it all out again. this time we put one can and it started to get cold then two and then it finally took three cans and it now blows ice cold (and yes it was the type as used befor that came with the kit). i have no idea what was wrong with it. but it does now however work.

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                All of the R12 was drained out more liked sucked out. I work at a ford dealer so after hours I sucked out what ever was left of the old R12 with the machine.. Since i dont have R12 I bought a conversion kit. It came with R134A that has oil in it and leak sealer. I put two cans of it in and they were big cans. After i put them in i went driving around for a while and it was only blowing a little cool almost next to warm. So the next day my brother (who was helping me) drained it all out again. this time we put one can and it started to get cold then two and then it finally took three cans and it now blows ice cold (and yes it was the type as used befor that came with the kit). i have no idea what was wrong with it. but it does now however work.
                Did your system hold vacuum pressure? If not there's a leak in there, and the refridgerent will leak out.
                The LTD Vic's ac system should hold 36 liquid ounces of R134a and blow ice cold. If you put too much in, the system will ice up and not work properly, Same thing if you have air in there.

Comment

Working...
                X