Odd noise in the cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd noise in the cold?

Hi all again, my 89 CV makes this boiling water like noise when the engine is cold does anyone know what this could be?

well its more like water boiling in a tea pot but not as high pitched

Comment

sounds like air in the cooling system flowing through the heater core or the heater core is blocked some and having coolant forced through it. is noise from passenger side behind glove box?
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Mine sort of does that... but more of a gurgle.... or water running around on the floor... but no leaks... usually stops when I run the car with the cap off for a while... after the thermostat opens up... then I top it off... then it doesn't do it for a while... until it gets a little low....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

My experience is that it's not unusual to hear water gurgling in the heater core when the car is cold. Sort of like the AOD shifting late and shock absorbers taking a little while to limber up, it just happens sometimes and there's nothing in particular to worry about.

Definitely a good thought to burp and top off the cooling system, though.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yeah its behind the glove box

Comment

Is the cooling system filled? Maybe it's making that noise since theres a little air or something in the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by cool user name View Post
                yeah its behind the glove box
                Then that's all it is. Unless, of course, the heater core is toast, in which case the only thing to do is stock the fridge with beer and prepare for a long, miserable job. :p

Comment

well....... what are the usual sighns of a tosted heater core

Comment

Smell of antifreeze in the cockpit is usually a big one, plus your defogger becomes a fogger instead (sticky steam blows out and condenses on windshield). If it goes in a major way, you'll know immediately from the gush of hot coolant onto the floorboard.

Comment

ok cool well that hasnt happend yet so........cooool

Comment

My car makes this noise too sometimes. It's the blower motor. Try shutting it off and see if you still hear the noise. Normally does it when it's cold.

Comment

hmmm... as mentioned by gadget in past posts... remove a coolant line from the EGR spacer connected to the throttle body since it is highest point of coolant system to let the air out while filling it.
                          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                          X