Winter Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Sucks

Uhhhhhh.....The crown Vics door locks have been acting up now that it has been -3 with the wind chill. The problem is that I am unable to unlock the door with the key. the key won't move to the left (unlock position). I can move it to the lock positon (right) no problem. It seems to me that its not the tumbler but the acuator thats sticking ? And yes I have tried Lock-ease and all that bull shit but it doesent help when its this cold. Does anyone have any ideas on wht I can do....Thanks

i had this prob before. can you get the door open? you have to get lube to the door latch its self witch usally means removal of the door panel but sometimes you can soak it threw where the latch hooks on to the door striker. if you cant get the door open by key, from the inside you can carefuly put some force on the manual lock tabe on the inside towards the un-lock position and pull on the door lock lever and you just might pop the door open but, long story short is that the door latch mechinism get moisture or gets some water in it and freezes.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I can get the door open but only from the inside and the latch inside will sometimes stick and I will have to push the door open.

Comment

What marquisman said. Just don't do what I did. Same thing happened to me last winter, except in my stupidity, I yanked the outer door handle so hard I bent the actuator rod inside the door so that it came out of the door handle, and left me with a door handle that did absolutely nothing.

Got me some silicone spray, sprayed the weatherstripping down, and when I removed the door panel to fix the bent rod, I used lithium grease to coat every moving part on the latch and lock mechanism.

No problems since.
        People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

sometimes i have filled a ziplock bag with hot water and held it against the door were the lock is ... usually works.. Needs lubed as previously mentioned.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I don't have a problem with the door handels its the locks. the key goes in fine but it won't turn to the left so I can unlock it, it only turns to the right. so then I have to open the passenger door, lean over and open the door and then the handle inside has not been wanting to open the door i have to pull real hard and sometimes push on the door and then it opens. Thanks guys!
            Last edited by chitownvic; 12-07-2008, 12:52 AM.

Comment

i had the same problem, what worked for me was spraying a liqufied graphite in there and it was fine!
              What happened here?

Comment

graphite in a spray can is good stuff

Comment

Funny thing I think I remember reading in the Ford manual not to use graphite in the locks.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

ya, and on the 88-91 boxes they put sealer around all the door seals and would eventualy rust real bad behind it lol

Comment

Thank guys.... but yes I have used the graphite spray and it was working fine ntil Friday... but i think im going to put a propane heater on the door. Worked before on my GMarq....I hope using the graphite didnt fuck anything up

Comment

Working...
                      X