New guy checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy checking in

New guy MarC-MarQ here, glad I found this forum. I have a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. I have owned a few large body Fords and this one has been one of the best and the worst. I traded in a 95 Civic at a shady hole-in-the wall dealer ship, you know the one, where the guy who owns it is the mechanic (wanna be) and the sales person too. Well he had 2995 on the window but was quik to trade straight up for the Civic, which was fine since the clutch was going on it, but he knew, i was not trying to get anything over on anyone. Little did I know he was working over one on me. Said that he drove the car every day and that he had to make lots of trips to the airport, which was a 20 mi distance. Ha, liar. I got "Cruiser" home and sure enough the car had sat so long that a 5 mile trip ripped the pads up and made them grind. Then one by one you name it, it happed. I didnt blame the car, but the fact that it has sat for seven, yes seven years. Found that out when I had the tag work done, had to pay seven years of back taxes. Fun! but after $2,000 dollars in self done repair spanning from fuel delivery to igntion, its all good, very much am in love with this car. Eventually I want to do alot of work to it that is not based around keeping it running. Nice to be here.
    sigpic 1994 Lincoln TC executive

Welcome!

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Hello So you own 3 boxes??
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

ty

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
          Hello So you own 3 boxes??
          yes, i must say i like the merc the best, had it for about 7 months now

Comment

what's the story on the 351W GM?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

awesome welcome!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What are "back taxes" as pertaining to motor vehicles? :confused: Around here you either register your vehicle and drive it, or don't register it and keep it parked indoors. Never heard anything about "back taxes", especially from before the car was in the current owner's possessionl
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                  what's the story on the 351W GM?
                  Funny story, I had a 91 grand am that was rusted as all get out and i didnt like it at all, too small for me but i got it for doing some brake work for a friend. Well one day I was at my buddies car lot and here comes a wrecker with this GM on it and the guy wants to sell it to the lot for parts, the lot didnt want it and all the guy wanted was 300 bucks for it cause it had new rubber on it, so i offered to trade for it and the guy wanted to go for it. Well he didnt know anything about the car at all. When we did the title swap i drove it home to do a major look over. This car I noticed had some cusom work done to it, it looked like someone had put a canvas mock-top on it, i think they didnt do the whole roof cause it had a factory power sunroof, off i thought but it functioned just the same. Ice cold a/c and the only real issue was the gas tank was swidd cheese. I saw the engine was 351 2bbl and i was kinda suprised since I had not seen one in person, I thought there was only 302 in the civilian GM but I am not a professional by any means. If anyone has any info to offer let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    What are "back taxes" as pertaining to motor vehicles? :confused: Around here you either register your vehicle and drive it, or don't register it and keep it parked indoors. Never heard anything about "back taxes", especially from before the car was in the current owner's possessionl
                    Well, in GA, where i bought the car, they have property tax on vehicles, just like a house, they go by value and such. Well nobody had it tagged and if you do not tag it, then you dont pay the property tax on it, then if it is ever to be tagged again, using the vin they can tell when the last time the tax was paid, so even if you junk a car and someone gets it, they have to pay the back tax on it for how ever long it went with no registration.

Comment

Oooooh, weirdness. A guy I know once bought a used '98 Oldsmobile from Georgia ... wonder if he encountered that problem at all.

More to the point, I wonder how to look up what all states have such a strange requirement .....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Oooooh, weirdness. A guy I know once bought a used '98 Oldsmobile from Georgia ... wonder if he encountered that problem at all.

More to the point, I wonder how to look up what all states have such a strange requirement .....
                        I am not sure who has that, but if he did not get a tag in GA then he did not have to pay the GA tax. If the title leaves the state, then you do not have to pay the tax after to buy it. Same as if you leave the state then years later come back, you do not have to pay back taxes cause it was not property in GA for that time period. The states I know that do it is GA,NC,SC,KY I have also lived in Ohio and Michigan and they dont do it. I dont this Texas does that either.

Comment

Working...
                        X