Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From Germany

Hey there,

I've been searching for information about "my" car and couldn't find too much. Maybe that is, because here in Germany, American cars haven't been too popular.
    However - I am married to a Mexican an the grandfather of my wife lived and worked in the railroad industry in the US all of his life. When retiring, he gave himself a treat before returning to Mexico: a 1978 (?) Grand Marquis.
    Since I love old cars, my uncle in Mexico gave me the chance last time to ride it. It has a lot of dings and minor technical flaws, but I fell in love with it.
    Before "meeting" this car I was about to buy me an 80s S-Class to remain my primary vehicle for the rest of my driving days.
    I am sure the S-Class is way superior to the Marquis (sorry folks), but somehow I don't wanna know about it anymore.
    I couldn't find too much about the older models, though.
    Hopefully in this forum I can find help and friends who share the passion for these road-ships.

I am looking forward to discussions.

I am in Mexico once a year for a couple of weeks an I am planning on restoring the Mrq to its former glory to honor my granddad - the car is officially mine now.

I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Simon
    Keep On Rockin' in a free world

welcome simon , u came to the right place , there are alot of good people and info on this forum . good luck with the car im sure that u will enjoy it alot . do you have any pics of it ?
    sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
    87 mercury grand marquis
    88 crown vic lx
    89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
    89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
    00 ford crown vic lx hpp
    03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's nice to have another european member.

There was a major change in body style in 1979, so there's a big difference between a 1978 and 1979. 1979s are the same basic design as most of the cars you see on this website, but we like earlier cars too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

welcome to GMN!
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Guten Tag Simon

I have a couple of relatives in Germany...Rosenheim and Koln/Colgne to be exact. One of my cousins really grew a liking for my car while he visited a couple years back. He always said how cars there are much smaller and not many people drive American made ones. He always wanted to have one imported. Welcome aboard.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

welcome to GMN!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Jak sie masz!

Comment

i'd be willing to bring some parts out from the us and a if i could crash out on your floor. and if there is a rammstein concert nearby (im familliar with katowice, poland and my family is from krakow) or you could get me easily laid by a german chick, im open to polish and other eastern european hotel help
                Last edited by DanHool; 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Welcome
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

welcome to gmn

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by visionmercury View Post
                      welcome simon , u came to the right place , there are alot of good people and info on this forum . good luck with the car im sure that u will enjoy it alot . do you have any pics of it ?
                      Well, I uploaded all the pics I made last time (only few).
                      From what my wife told me, the car has to be 1978, because back then, her Grandfather returned from the US.
                      Check the Album in my profile.

From all I could gather so far, it is either a '77 or '78.

Thanks for all the warm welcome

Comment

yep '77 or '78

the vin/build date on the door sticker will give it away for sure though.
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Your Merc must attract a lot of attention over there!
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Not much attention

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                            Your Merc must attract a lot of attention over there!
                            Well, it would.
                            But it is located in Mexico, hehe.
                            I was considering to bring it here, but first I would need to repair certain things. That is way cheaper in Mexico or the US. But since I am only there once a year, progress will be slow.
                            Due to the scarcity of American cars, especially from that time in Germany, spare-parts would be hard to find.
                            German cars are tiny. In my apartment building I have underground parking, but I doubt that this 6m ship would make the turn through the entrance.
                            Germany is not contructed for such big cars. So for a while it will remain my Holiday car.
                            I have to relocate to Mexico or the US to fully enjoy it, I gess.

I enrolled in this forum to get some knowledge of all you guys who have more insight in the aftermarket possibilities etc. This is also an unknown field in Germany. Here you customise your car, wait a bit and drive it. If something breaks you call an IT expert to fix it ;-)
                            I like older cars, where the technology is "offline". Being an engineer I have a good understanding about how everything works, but so far I have never restored a car.
                            But I am looking forward to it.

So at the time being I want to plan things and get a good understanding of my Merc, so when I am in Mexico again early next year I will do some things.

From a technical point of view, these things need fixing:

-power steering: The rubbers have to be replaced...it "swims" too much. Hope nothing more serious has to be done.
                            -Cruise control is not working (anyone has an idea how to fix?)
                            -Engine maintenance: change the fluids/filters.
                            -replace windscreen (which models/years can I use? LTD? newer Mercs?)

The aesthetical things would be:

-bring all the gaps and parts in line
                            -get rid of the damages (outside)
                            -rebuild dash board
                            -find an old radio and put it in
                            -repair seats (leather)

Since the residual value is max 3000€ for one it good condition, this car will be more of a playground or training for me --> until it is decent I won't bring it to Germany.

So if someone has hints for the above issues...I am looking forward to learning from you all.

Simon

Comment

I've always been amazed at how tight my cars turn. I can actually drive through a compact car parking complex here in the states... can't park anywhere... but it'll make all the turns. the older boxes are easier at that since you can make out where the corners of the car are at. I've actually had a tougher time in the full size parking complexes around here. Picture a full size truck dually (dual rear tires) parked at the apex and trying to make it around that beast in my beast. I missed it by about 4 inches without having to back up though. I'm sure the complexes over there are a little tighter due to the excessive use of small cars though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X