New guy with 89 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Make sure you check the timing. Unplug the spout connector and set it to 10 btdc. These things don't really respond well to setting it by ear since the timing advance is computer controlled.
    yeah, that's gotta be why it's giving me low rpms during idle haha. like REALLY low. my dad tuned it by ear, but when i looked at it...it didn't seem right. but i'm pretty sure the spout connector was already off when i bought the car, that's the part that we had NO idea what the heck it was.

anyway...i think i have s'more pics, yes.
    Attached Files
    I barely post, I observe.

Comment

yea, the spout connector is important. dont wanna be driving on base timming/ no advance. looks like she is in pretty decent shape!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the spout connector gadget73...I found it chilling on top of the radiator! I looked for it everywhere and it was left there by the last shade tree mechanic. kinda surprised I didn't lose it in the hour-long ride from where I bought it from. I also spent all day changing the driver side valve cover gasket...Not sure what i'd have to remove to get to the other one...not to keen on getting to that either right now hehe.

Comment

Gonna have to remove the upper intake and then snake the valve cover out between everything on that side of the engine.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

for time being, try to see if you can tighten the rocker cover bolts. they usally get loose, then the hard gasket lets the oil by.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Gonna have to remove the upper intake and then snake the valve cover out between everything on that side of the engine.
              ahhh! That's what I thought(but wasn't hoping) i had to do. but kinda obvious there's no other way...

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
              for time being, try to see if you can tighten the rocker cover bolts. they usally get loose, then the hard gasket lets the oil by.

not a bad suggestion. that should be okay until I decide to take it on. at least it quit smokin' after changing the drivers side one

Comment

Working...
              X