98 Grand Marquis Interesting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 Grand Marquis Interesting Problems

Hello all! I'll get right to it. My 98 has 174,000 miles on it and runs good...when it runs good. I replaced the Platinum plugs along with an injector and a coil pack about a year ago but the rough idle never really left. I was and still am experiencing hesitation as I try to accelerate up a hill or getting on the freeway. I was having a rough idle and occasionally getting a P0420 code on Bank 1 and replaced both oxy sensors and problem went away for a few months and came back, I was hoping to get off cheap but had to replace the cats and that took care of the problem. During this time I was also getting an occasional misfire on cyl 1. I noticed a little bit of gas near the injector so I replaced all of the o-rings on that side (same side as Oxy Sensors and Cats) I still encounter the occasional misfire and now a P0135 (heater circuit on oxysensor failed) along with the misfire. I switched the coil pack and injector from cyl 1 to cyl 2 and still getting the Cyl 1 misfire (could be bad connection on coil pack or injector).

Here comes the interesting part. When starting the car after it has been sitting for awhile, I turn off the Overdrive until I get over 60mph and the car runs great. No serious hesitation, no P0301 misfire, no P0135 heater circuit, car runs great. I come to a stop and the Idle is smooth. The car runs great again until I leave it parked for a long time then it starts over again.

I'm going to trace and inspect the vacuum lines to EGR valve and most likely replace them as well as the valve.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this.

I bought the car new and haven't had a car payment in 12 years and don't want to start now.

Welcome! Has the fuel filter ever been changed? What grade of gasoline are you using?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I replaced it the same time I replaced the plugs. I use premium most of the time. I was out of work for a bit and had to use the cheap stuff and the old girl didn't like it. Engine would rattle during acceleration.

Comment

Working...
      X