new guy from jersey and timing is NOT AT THE RIGHT DEGREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new guy from jersey and timing is NOT AT THE RIGHT DEGREE

im new to this site guys . does anybody here have a distributor diagram that i can look at . my timing is not at the right degree . and my 89 ltd wont stay on .thanks dan

To set the timing you have to:

Manually crank the engine to TDC. Put your finger on the #1 spark plug hole so you can feel that it's the compression stroke. Check harmonic balancer to confirm using markings. Rotor should be pointed at the firewall as well as the #1 spark plug wire. Mark the harmonic balancer at 10 degrees BTDC. This should get it at least started. Using a timing light adjust the distributor clockwise / counterclockwise until the mark lines up with the timing plate.

It sounds like more of a headache than it is. I recently pulled my distributor out and forgot to mark it. These are the steps I did in order to get it running again.

Edit: If you haven't removed the distributor, you should just be able to loosen the hold down bolt and adjust it with the timing light.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

you have to remove the spout connector before you set the timing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        you have to remove the spout connector before you set the timing
        Whoops. Forgot about that part in my post. Thanks.

Here's an image of it if needed:

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

This might help

This is a must-see site for fans of American luxury hot rods. Message forums, tech advice, news, and automotive performance links are offered for Lincoln Mark VIII and Mark VII, Lincoln LS, Town Car, Continental, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, MKR, MKS, MKZ and more.

#1 cylinder needs to be connected to the #1 tower on the distributor cap. Its usually facing the firewall. if someone hop-scotched your wires around, you'll need to find TDC and re-drop the distribtor like slack describes above.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
            To set the timing you have to:

Manually crank the engine to TDC. Put your finger on the #1 spark plug hole so you can feel that it's the compression stroke. Check harmonic balancer to confirm using markings. Rotor should be pointed at the firewall as well as the #1 spark plug wire. Mark the harmonic balancer at 10 degrees BTDC. This should get it at least started. Using a timing light adjust the distributor clockwise / counterclockwise until the mark lines up with the timing plate.

It sounds like more of a headache than it is. I recently pulled my distributor out and forgot to mark it. These are the steps I did in order to get it running again.

Edit: If you haven't removed the distributor, you should just be able to loosen the hold down bolt and adjust it with the timing light.

i had to change the ignition module so i had to remove the distributor and the timing was set off
            Attached Files

Comment

All the advice already given here by others will get your car back in proper timing, it's not hard.
              For future reference, the distributor doesn't have to be removed to replace the ignition module.

Comment

I've never been able to manage it. I know people say its possible, but I've never had any success with it. Usually ends up easier just marking the distributor, yanking it to do the module, and dropping it back in to line up with the marks.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did it without totally removing it, but I had to lift it up about 3/8 inch to clear.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I removed the module without removing the dizzy when I did my TFI relocation.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X