New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy

Hello. Just found this site in my many searches and joined up. Proud owner of a 97 Grand Marquis GS. Glad to be here
    '97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS aka JetFire

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you!

Comment

Howdy! The 97 I used to own was one of the best cars I've had.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

woot! another aero!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yeah the 97 GS is an awsome car. Got it cheap ( $800) with 120k on the clock. Needs a little TLC, but overall a great car. Hasn't let me down yet!

Comment

Hey! Another New Yorker! Welcome!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Welcome!

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Thanks again guys. Well today I take the GS to the shop and have them look over the front end. I know for sure it needs an alignment as it has a slight noticeable pull to the right when I hit the brakes. Also when I'm doing like 30mph and let the wheel go it's gradually starts to steer towards the right.

Glad to be here tho.

Comment

Welcome to the party!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Yeah boi!

Went to my appt. 1/2 an hr early and they took me right in. 40min later I got the bad news: GS needs a RT tie rod end and a pair of sway bar links, plus of course the alignment. Total cost for parts, alignment and labor was $449.00

I decided to order the parts from RockAuto instead and swap them out myself then take the car to get aligned. Total cost for that is about $175

I know the shop has to make money, but dayum that's ridiculous!

Comment

Good for you. I have had similar shops quote me extremely high prices for suspension work. Actually, I think they didn't want to do the work. Most shop owners I know want to "cherry pick" their jobs and just blow off jobs that involve tying up their lifts for any length of time.

Comment

I figured as much. The shop services state vehicles so I'm sure the people that pay those bills don't care about the pricing. They'll just write off a check and be done. I was thinking more along the lines of $250, but when the tech showed me the written estimate I almost choked on my coffee. Pulled the trigger on the parts this morning and they should arrive by Sat.

Comment

sway bar links are cake. tie rod end can be interesting, but again... pretty much cake. Done in about an hour unless the tie rod end is being difficult. Air hammer and pickle fork will fix that though. If you don't have an air hammer... 4-pound persuasion works well too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No air hammer, but pickle fork I do have along with the 4lb problem solver. Incase that doesn't work, I'll get it's big brother the 8-pounder.

Comment

Working...
                              X