Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought our Second MGM.....She needs help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Bought our Second MGM.....She needs help.

Hi,

Names Seb and I just bought our second family car after the Buick went down for repairs...

Little about the car;

Paid $500

It's got 306,000K miles

It was green\tan but was spray painted black....

It has a radio BASS problem, the radio turns on and works as it should although the tape is stuck...
    when you adjust bass nothing it's like listening to an AM radio from the 60s!!

That's really all I'm worrying about in the interior for now...

As for the mechanical,

believe it or not the engine is good.

But the transmission or differential may need some help.

The O\D works, it shifts pretty damn good, but there is a loud clunk that can be heard when the car is put in R or D or vis versa. The differential is what i am thinking, others said the drive line. I will add on suspecting noise, when the car is moving in R or D you can hear a squeak, that goes and goes as the car is moving and gets louder as I'm slowing down, not wheel bearings because when the car is in N it makes no such noise when I push it...it sounds to be like the drive-line tranny. And I already know the ball joints are heading south so its not them, they make a different noise.

But help with this problem would be appreciated, I need this to last until I get the old Buick running again, But so far this car is earning its right to be in our house

Like I said we had one before, and are willing to put some more life into this one...

Thanks for the help,

Seb

Where are you located and what year GM??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

My location? Umm......... I don't think thats important right now...WHAHAHA!!

It's A 1996, It's been through 6 (I think) Teenagers and I'm the supposed 7th...

Lets say if anything it needs TLC, like above I really need this to last six or more months...

Thanks!
      Last edited by Seb B.; 01-26-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like your '96 has been around the block What year is your Buick?
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

loud clunk when put in drive or reverse is probably u-joints. Sounds like I'm getting one back on my 88 daily beater. I have a spare DS I'll just swap in with it's greaseable joints and be done with it if needed, but the u-joints themselves are pretty inexpensive. You do need one special tool for the work though... a 12-point 12mm impact socket to get the drive shaft off. Then you just need grease (to keep the needle bearings in place in the caps), a socket the side of the cap, a hammer, and needle nose pliers to work the retaining clips. If the joints are bad enough, the driveline could be out of balance and causing your running noise too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome! The lack of Bass in your speakers means the cones are frozen/stuck. I had the same problem and had to replace the speakers. I swapped out the entire sound system with an aftermarket radio/cd/mp3 player, 6x9's MTX rear, 6x8's doors and a pair of 10" Power Bass woofers in a carpeted enclosure in the trunk along with a 300w Dual Amp. More than enough to enjoy my tunes like I like it.

Excellent guide right here .
            '97 Mercury Grand Marquis GS aka JetFire

Comment

"My location? Umm......... I don't think thats important right now...WHAHAHA!!"

Only asked because the climate gives us an idea of how it affects the car. If that info needs to be a secret - go with it!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Moon base 3?

Pete
                Originally posted by gadget73
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                  Welcome! Sounds like your '96 has been around the block What year is your Buick?
                  It's a 91 2DR Regal Limited Canada ED.

3.8TPI

It's a damn good car for the life it's had.

Comment

I don't exactly have a garage more of on covered and one uncovered space to park....and the last time I was working on the Buick I got $350+ tools ripped from my while I was putting the car back together.....

How much do you think a shop would charge?

Comment

I want to keep the OEM look, aftermarket headunits always look cheap and have flashy lights, in my opinion... My Buick for a 91 Has a kick'n stock sound system!! Concert Sound II 6X speakers, with the six way graphic EQ! I forgot how bold the Ford stereo was...But someone on Y-answers said it might be the wiring? Like they were canceling each other out?? I cant find the link....Also could it be the head unit? maybe a quick trip to the salvage yard?

Comment

Working...
                      X