New guy questions on engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy questions on engine swap

Bought an 86 gm w/ 5.0 tb and I the engine is pretty wore out but the trans is still good. I've been thinking about swapping in a h.o. Engine, probably one from a stang, what all do I need? Will I have any issues with the trans? And what years of engines should I look for? Trying to keep this as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance for the help

you will need the HO (hi-rev) governor for the trans or it will still shift at the same lopo points.

drop in an engine but keep the accessory configuration from the GM (AC/ALT/PS) and you won't have to re-wire anything. Use a D9S ECM from a Mark VII and it's plug and play. Drive away. This is only if you use an engine with E6 or E7 heads and the HO intake. If you go explorer/tubular intake, you'll need to go Mass-air (add 3 wires and move one or two) to get things working right. get a new water pump for the engine you'll put in. You will also need to modify (bore out) your stock EGR spacer to use on the new intake (rotated 180) to get things to bolt up right or find a lightning EGR spacer (early 90s version). The trans should handle the added power just fine as it's not really a whole lot more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Governor, wp, brains is minimum correct? can you delete the egr system? I don't got any regulations for those and I was thinking about going catless on the exhaust do they have any simulators for the o2 sensors? That's what I did on my Grand Prix didn't know if you can do anything like that on these

Comment

you can eliminate the EGR, but you'll still need to replace the HO spacer with something you can mount the panther parts on. This being the bracket for the trans/throttle cables. It's just easier to get a modified panther spacer or lightning spacer. o2 sensors are required. there are no sensors behind the cats, so eliminators are not an issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok thank you

Comment

Working...
          X