No announcement yet.

Distributor pick up...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is rare but the pickups do fail. My grandparents 86 Grand Marquis had the same symptoms and it was the pickup. You have to drive the roll-pin out, pull the gear and dismantle to replace it. I tried everything first but it was the pickup.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Is this pick-up the same thing as the PIP?? Sorry, I'm dumb.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Is this pick-up the same thing as the PIP?? Sorry, I'm dumb.
        Yes.
        Profile Ignition Pickup
        Last edited by sly; 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It was a combination of the pick-up and the ignition coil. So go figure. Also the power steering pump was shot as well. Car runs fine, however the motorcraft TFI failed...luckily I was able to limp it into a parking lot lock it over night and fix it in the parking lot the next morning. However the timing is slightly off. When I get time to remote mount the TFI I will see about getting the timing right. Right now I am busy on replacing my rims since one of them hops like the easter bunny and they are all bent and out of round. Real fun.

Comment

Sounds like a capital shitter all around buddy. I now have 3 spare distributors thanks to some creative(careless) buying on various forums, but I surely won't run out of viable alternates! Best of luck with your electrical gremlin, and so glad that's one of my smallest worries at this point. I have an auto-electric expert within a few miles that'll cost me minimally, since he likes my "simple" old car versus the weird shit he works on regularly. I appreciate this because I plan to throw progressively more fucked-up things at him as my project moves along...

Comment

I found a smashed up box in at a yard over the weekend. Ordinarily I would've walked right by it but because I read this thread I had to hoard the dizzy, so now I've got a spare for Ash and I.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I am hoping to find some of that rear trim, but just like my saturn sc2 finding these things wrecked is impossible. I bet most of the MN ones got crushed and sent to china via cash for clunkers.

Comment

Working...
                X