Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there. Midnight Drifter from Youtube. That rust looks kinda scary, but I'll have to evaluate it in person.

The good news is, New Jersey does NOT do safety inspection any more; the BAD news is they still do smog and emissions.

This car kind of has me on the fence - but pictures pale in comparison to real-life visual inspection.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Well I've never seen one here that bad, but I'm sure there out there.

1987cp, I know that in rural western Illinois (2nd cousins live out there) they use sand, which still causes problems but its better then salt.
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

nice you joined mang. yes that rust is the only bad spot on the car. right now i may have a sale on it dont know till next friday since the guy looked at it today and he is giving me a down payment of $400. then he is selling his pc stuff for a grand and will pay me the rest. wish me luck guys. if he fails to pay then jump on this baby. he is offering to pay me the $1200 for it. WOW enough for my town car. still will play by ear if someone shows up with $1000 before he puts a down payment on it then that person walks away with this baby.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

If he pays you 1200, he's a bigger dumbass than you. Good luck!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Honestly, it's a bit unethical to raise the price after you've plastered it all over this message board (in your sig) and mentioned it a number of times. I'm not certain of the car's value, but.... from the looks of things, it certainly isn't a grand. I was on the fence at $800... for 1K, I'd pass. The price just isn't right.

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
              Honestly, it's a bit unethical to raise the price after you've plastered it all over this message board (in your sig) and mentioned it a number of times. I'm not certain of the car's value, but.... from the looks of things, it certainly isn't a grand. I was on the fence at $800... for 1K, I'd pass. The price just isn't right.
              Where in Jersey are you? So I know where to go to get paid to fix that thing.

Comment

if this guy does not come through with the money you can have it for $800 i was just quoting what i am charging people that come to see the car. by all means if you have $800 come down and take it i will take the $800. people that i know from here get a discount so you get it for $800.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

so let me tell you how dumb this moron that wants to buy my car is. first i had to drive to his location cause he blew his engine in his 97 chevy silverado. so he looked at the car was really hyped about it. he looked underneath the car and said wow it's not rusted out at all(LMFAO in my head as he said that) the guy is dumb enough not to notice there are no cats and the is a rust hole. so the kid went for a ride in the car my father drove the car cause the kid didnt have his license on him. so at the end he wanted to think about it the kid lives by himself lol. i go back home and my father gets text messages from this kid and the kid said in the text messages as i am at work to my father.
                  Kid: i decided i do want the car i just have to sell my gaming computer i have money for a down payment to hold and the pc will get me at least a grand and i should have it sold soon becuase im 99% sure you wouldnt accept a payment plan.

Kid: It should be a quick sale im including alot with the computer

My Father: i told matt. sounds like a plan just keep us informed. good luck

Kid: ok and he's fine with it and friday you gonna come and pick up the deposit

My Father: he's at work right now so i cant call him seems ok to me. but ill talk to him when i can.

Kid: ok thanks

Kid: So 100% truth you sware this is a good car and that the heater core is the only thing wrong with it.

My father: to the best of my knowledge that is the only thing worng and as you know matt is giving you a new one. the car is 28 years old and doesnt come w/ a guarantee.

Kid: im no mechanic and couldnt spot something obviously perfectly so many scams on CL it gets me paranoid.

My Father: So again we dont know what else is wrong with it. But if you want someone else to look at it.

Kid: No it's fine you seem like honest people

My father: i understand you got ripped off with the pickup. i dont want to rip anyone off nor do i want my son to get taken advantage of.

Kid: i just been having bad luck with vehicles im selling mine last form of entertainment to pay for it i just gotta make sure.

My Father: i want u to be sure we dont want you to be uncomfortable or think you might being ripped off. and after the pickup problem we understand.

Kid: ok thanks again.

lol what a moron man this will be easy to sell. wow what a dumbass this kid is. Wish me luck guys on this He is paying me $1200.
                  Last edited by MattsLincoln; 09-18-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

The way you describe the potential 'buyer'... doesn't inspire confidence in other potential buyers!

Comment

Hey, if he wants to give you your original asking price ...

Might want to include some sort of bill of sale with a disclaimer to the effect of "This is a 28 year old used car with XXXXXX miles and is sold as is where is with no warranty expressed or implied".

Frankly, the idea of a non-enthusiast, especially one you represent as a bit flaky upstairs, purchasing a near-30-year-old vehicle scares me silly, but I guess it's his decision ....

Funny that it hasn't occurred to him that he could replace the engine in his Chevy for $1200 .....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

You're just digging your hole deeper, ain't you?

No one on this site is going to buy your car, considering what you just told us. Either you're a really good troll, or just really really fucking stupid. I'm going with the stupid.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The way you describe the potential 'buyer'... doesn't inspire confidence in other potential buyers!
                          yeah but i know this kid in real life becuase my good friend(who i work with) lived with him in an apartment for couple of months, and i also went to school with this jackass and really was a shithead to my friend and people hate him becuase he is such a jackass. thats why he got kicked out and now has to live on his own. lets just say i really dont like this kid becuase what he did to my Friend was not a joke though the kind found it to be joke. he pulled a rifle out and pointed it to my friends head granted the gun wasnt loaded how the fuck do you think that is a joke. so becuase he was being a douche and asshole to my friend he deserves to get ripped. how dare you pull a gun and point it towards your roommate and say its a joke.

on the other hand you guys i only am offering the car for $800 because you guys know the car has a rust hole and no cats so i would gladly pay lower than what i am asking local people around here.

also heres a pic of what the town car i am getting looks like same color as this but has a half top vinyl roof, signature series with only 89,000 miles getting it for 1K.

Comment

Hm... I can see where you're coming from, but the way you deliver your point is rather crude and ungentlemanlike, to say the least. [ITT: Buyers that don't care if their own words exist in the dictionary or not]

The catalytic converters are a big deal to me, because you can't register historic (25 or older - no inspection required) vehicles and use them as commuters in NJ. I am AWARE in the state of PA, the regulation is you must own another vehicle, but NJ is pretty strict with vehicle registration.

And let's face it... as it is, she won't pass the sniffer. Oh, and I go through towns that cops regularly cite me for no front plate. An expired/rejected sticker? HAHAHAHA. $250 fine, revoked registration which will THEN require taking the car to the nearest State Police barracks to have a DMV officer inspect the vehicle and approve it for street use - all while you'd have to tow the car there at your own expense - and the cop has the option to tow the car and make the poor fool who drove it like that walk home.

That's why the test pipes are a huge red flag to me. But again, it comes down to a matter of numbers. I am already researching the costs involved in replacing the cats, and the rust repair. However, I'll refrain from any further negotiating until I'm there in person to see it all.

Comment

Hm... I can see where you're coming from, but the way you deliver your point is rather crude and ungentlemanlike, to say the least. [ITT: Buyers that don't care if their own words exist in the dictionary or not]

The catalytic converters are a big deal to me, because you can't register historic (25 or older - no inspection required) vehicles and use them as commuters in NJ. I am AWARE in the state of PA, the regulation is you must own another vehicle, but NJ is pretty strict with vehicle registration.

And let's face it... as it is, she won't pass the sniffer. Oh, and I go through towns that cops regularly cite me for no front plate. An expired/rejected sticker? HAHAHAHA. $250 fine, revoked registration which will THEN require taking the car to the nearest State Police barracks to have a DMV officer inspect the vehicle and approve it for street use - all while you'd have to tow the car there at your own expense - and the cop has the option to tow the car and make the poor fool who drove it like that walk home.

That's why the test pipes are a huge red flag to me. But again, it comes down to a matter of numbers. I am already researching the costs involved in replacing the cats, and the rust repair. However, I'll refrain from any further negotiating until I'm there in person to see it all.
                              ok thats fine with me. i rather you see the car in person and judge it from there.

on the other note the kid will definitely buy it if i get it inspected so. i am taking it to get inspected where i got it inspected last time and it passed. turn signal an high beam indicators are wired up and working. welding the exhaust leaks and then taking it to jack Williams. wish me luck. if it doesn't pass because of cats that will be fine i will spend $200 to get the new cats.

Comment

just researched how much new cats would be on rockauto.com

it would be $207.40 with shipping thats not bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X