Selling 1987 Grand Marquis as junk- need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling 1987 Grand Marquis as junk- need some advice

Hello all,, my apologies if I've not posted this under a more appropriate topic, but i wasn't sure where it would best fit.

I have a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis with 5.0 liter V8, with 113,000 original miles that I'm considering selling as "junk", (cause I think I have too). Would like some input from anyone that has had experience getting rid of a car for scrap to get the most benefit from that, or anyone that wouldn't mind commenting. Could use some advice. I have a couple specific questions and would like some comments on the situation as well.

It is a great running car, has never given me any problems, but unfortunately has gotten past the point of saving. It runs fantastic. But the exterior and interior have gotten bad to the point that I know I can't sell the vehicle for a decent price without putting money into it, which I don't think would be cost effective. I don't think I could sell it for what I put into it as a decent running vehicle. (The paint has given way to surface rust on the hood, roof, and trunk- there are no rust holes or dents or dings- it would be an easy repaint, but the partial vinyl roof is shot- cracked and weathered- and the interior has all the fabric disintegrating, dash cracked, etc.).

So based on all that, I'm forced to sell it for junk. BUT- the battery just went dead, and the starter solenoid just went out. I know I'll get more for the car running, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to spend what I would need on a battery and solenoid to get more for the car! Obviously I could spend as little as necessary on a used battery, and probably spend little on a used junkyard solenoid. But I don't know if this makes much of a difference or if my costs to get the vehicle running would offset the amount I could sell it for once running. I think I could get around $250 or so for the vehicle running. Wondering how much less a junk buyer would pay for it if it were not- thus it might be worth spending $50-80 bucks on a batt and solenoid.

Next thing I'm wondering about is if this particular 5.0 liter V8, and maybe even the transmission could possibly be something sought after by car guys that need a good foundation motor for a racing engine, or good running hot rod engine. In which case I'd be better off selling the motor for more valuer, and still sell what's left of the vehicle for at least $50. (I have no idea if this particular 5.0 liter and transmission have any preferred features, nor how to find that out. I have some knowledge about older chevrolet engines, but I would hate to let a good enbine go if it were a nice find for someone looking for a motor.).

I guess one further question would be how much would I be best stripping off of it, and still get a decent amount of cash for it from a junk buyer. (Hubcaps, chrome moulding, mufflers, catylitic converters, etc.). Yet, I realize these very items are probably what makes the car valuable to such a buyer, thus they would give probably give far less for the car if they were missing. Obviously I'm wondering about selling them myself to maximize the potential amount I could get for the car. Keeping in mind that these particular items aren't necessarily hugely sought after, and I may not have much potential to be bought.).

Anyone had experience to know what might be best to do??

Appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Visser

You can get upwards of around $400-500 in scrap value for it. So I wouldn't sell it for less than $500 to anyone. With that in mind, a battery and solenoid might be a good idea. As for the engine and trans... they don't have any of the preferred features, but can very well be worked with (money required to fix the main flaws and throw some upgrades at them). The goldmine so to speak on that car is the doors and trim parts. If the doors have the vent windows... some folks here might be very interested in it. The cats on those aren't really worth much, so that's not an issue. The mufflers are even worse. I really wouldn't worry about those types of things. Really, the gold is in the trim.

What's your location, someone might buy it as a parts car for their own car's upkeep.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you have the room to strip the car and store parts,I would do just that strip the car. Any real nice outside/inside trim,hubcaps, lights, bumpers, interior switches, someone can use as long as it is priced right. I would pull the motor and trans. You should be able to get a good price. There are plenty of people right here on this site that could use spare parts (maybe the whole car)if they are cheap. Ebay is another place to sell parts. Once again price things cheap if you want the parts to go away. The frame of mind is trying to help someone who wants parts instead of making a bunch of money. The money will follow.
      After any decent part has been pulled, Scrap the rest. If you deliver the car they should pay you more. Where are you located ?
      That is my opinion, Hope it helps you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and input, makes good sense. I'm in Illinois near St. Louis, Missouri. Much to the point, I'd certainly like to see the car/parts go to some use, or share something I have with someone who needs it.

Comment

Another idea (some folks here might not agree) Strip the car,sell the parts cheap. Keep the motor and trans in it and sell it as a demo derby. The full frame cars are wanted the most. If the car is a 2 door, I would try to sell the car whole to someone wanting to restore it or for a parts car. 2 door rust free parts are getting harder to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            Another idea (some folks here might not agree) Strip the car,sell the parts cheap. Keep the motor and trans in it and sell it as a demo derby. The full frame cars are wanted the most. If the car is a 2 door, I would try to sell the car whole to someone wanting to restore it or for a parts car. 2 door rust free parts are getting harder to find.
            Funny you should mention this, the thought did cross my mind! It would make a GREAT derby car- as you well know, this thing is as sturdy as a tank!!

It is a 4 door BTW.

Comment

Try parting it out first.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

i need a deck lid, LS diff, brake light/distribution brake fitting, turbines and centers, grill/headlight trim inserts, front signals and steering column. i'm in peoria
                Well cutting through the cane break, rattling the till Thunder that the rain makes when the shadow tops the hill Big light on the back street, hill to ever more Backing down the ladder with the hammer to the floor

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  You can get upwards of around $400-500 in scrap value for it. So I wouldn't sell it for less than $500 to anyone.
                  Isn't that primarily if you're able to strip it fully and deliver it for scrap on a flatbed? Highest yard-tows-it-away offer I've heard of was $100; $35-$50 seemed to be more typical a few years ago.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

used car values go by scrap price.......current shredding price for cars is 14 cents a pound.......put the car up on craigslist for 700 obo

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Right, but is that the price you get if you call your local salvage yard and they tow it away?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

that's the price if you haul it there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I advertised a '79 with no title, been sitting in a field for years, under hood solid pack rat nest, interior full of mice, etc. for $200 and I had 4 guys lined up with cash by that night...should have asked for more. If you have the space/time advertise the engine and trans and let people see them run in the car. Take a deposit, pull them, and get the rest. Should be able to part out and then sell the body for a derby car and get $500 pretty easy. FWIW the most I could get for the '79 from a salvage yard was $175 if I delivered it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            used car values go by scrap price.......current shredding price for cars is 14 cents a pound.......put the car up on craigslist for 700 obo
                            That sounds about right IMO. OP attempt to get it running as cheaply as possible. Advertise it for 700 like Lincolnmania said and then take the first 500 you get offered. Today anything running, driving and stopping should be worth minimum $500.
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

3 months ago, I got $275 for my old fully stripped '87 MGM, and I do mean fully stripped of damn near everything including the front clip and engine/trans. That was with the scrap guy coming to pick it up with the roll-back and hauling it off for me. I could have gotten more if I had hauled it there myself.

You should be able to get at least $500 for a full car.

Comment

Working...
                              X