X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'55 Olds Turbo Diesel

Up for auction in Helsinki:
    https://huutokaupat.com/3938647/olds...-om606-st-1955

~400hp Mercedes OM606 turbodiesel, ZF 5-spd and 4-linked Ford 8.8. Mercedes steering rack, bagged and disc brakes all around.
    Dunno about you guys, but I think that's cool as hell! I guess you don't know of the MB superturbo fad, but it's pretty popular here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OTk5ODE5MQ.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	1385304
    Click image for larger version

Name:	OTk5ODIxNg.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	1385305
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Had a '56 Olds Holiday but it had the original powertrain so this is interesting. Mine had power steering, power windows and power antenna. Ran like a top even over twenty years old at the time. Never seen this type of powertain, however in this type of car.
    Last edited by friskyfrankie; 01-19-2023, 06:00 PM.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Interesting car for sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cool, a diesel Oldsmobile that isn't the terrible diesel Oldsmobile we got here.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Four door hardtops for the win. Cheaper buy in price, easier access than the less door version.

Certainly an interesting powertrain. I don't see many Mercedes Diesels around after the 80's around here. Maybe it's just me not paying attention.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

With that color you'd never lose it in a parking lot.
            1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

True, otherwise it would blend right in.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post

Certainly an interesting powertrain. I don't see many Mercedes Diesels around after the 80's around here. Maybe it's just me not paying attention.
                diesels pretty much died in this country after the 80s, but you could still get one in a Mercedes at least. Probably less common than an AMG though.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys are definitely getting shafted with the whole no diesel cars thing. I've seen an american youtuber have a W211 diesel, but I dunno if you got any of the newer ones. And you probably got zero diesel BMWs. And we all know what happened with diesel VWs
                  Anyways, the MB OM606 engine is considered kinda as the 2JZ of diesels, the factory turbo internals hold 600+ hp. Slap a bigger turbo and a modified injection pump and you can crank out 400hp from a clapped out stock 606.

Comment

There were about 1600 total BMW 524td brought to the US between 1985 and 1988 I think. Not sure we got another BMW diesel until probably this century.

a lot of this can be blamed on the Olds 350 diesel. GM made a ton of them from the late 70s through the mid 80s and it was pretty much a stunning heap of shit. It was so bad that for many years people heard "diesel" and associated it with horror stories of all the blown up Olds engines and they just wanted no parts of that.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      There were about 1600 total BMW 524td brought to the US between 1985 and 1988 I think. Not sure we got another BMW diesel until probably this century.

a lot of this can be blamed on the Olds 350 diesel. GM made a ton of them from the late 70s through the mid 80s and it was pretty much a stunning heap of shit. It was so bad that for many years people heard "diesel" and associated it with horror stories of all the blown up Olds engines and they just wanted no parts of that.
                      Some interesting info on the Olds diesel.....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/o...rs-199787.html
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

" lot of this can be blamed on the Olds 350 diesel. GM made a ton of them from the late 70s through the mid 80s and it was pretty much a stunning heap of shit. It was so bad that for many years people heard "diesel" and associated it with horror stories of all the blown up Olds engines and they just wanted no parts of that."

I remember working at a wrecking yard during the GM diesel era. We could buy those GMs with low miles and cheap. Every good running 350 motor we had got sold for top dollar for people who would do the 350 swap.
                        Remembering back in about 1982-84 working at a new car lot trying to sell Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles with the diesels. There was a brown Cadillac in the showroom that stayed on the lot for at least a year. Fully loaded car but no one wanted it. That was the time of the Cadillac 4/6/8 system too. Don't remember too many details but that was another GM dog.

Comment

Pffft... Olds diesel. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            " That was the time of the Cadillac 4/6/8 system too. Don't remember too many details but that was another GM dog.
                            oddly enough despite its bad rap it wasn't too bad of an engine. The variable displacement part was clunky but unhooking one wire made it just a Caddy V8. The HT4100 that came after it, that thing was a mess.

Comment

Working...
                            X