X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiggie
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
    Its a odd phenomenon a buddy and I noticed not too long ago. The junkyard is full of cars that you could get $1500 for, but CL & marketplace is full of $1500 cars that should be in the junkyard.
    YES. This is what happens in a private or limited public auction system like we have here in VA. A decent but used, undesirable model runner gets traded in. Dealer doesn’t want it, goes to $350 auction, sold to a salvage yard. Skips the consumer as a whole car. This is what happens when Grandpa trades in his 1996 Town Car or Taurus. Boxes are to the point that nice ones go somewhere else to be sold, or they are just really really nasty used up POS’s that hardly anything is salvageable from.

Leave a comment:

• JeffBoudah
    replied
    Its a odd phenomenon a buddy and I noticed not too long ago. The junkyard is full of cars that you could get $1500 for, but CL & marketplace is full of $1500 cars that should be in the junkyard.

Leave a comment:

• Quincy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Not much derby action here either. Way too much crusher action though.
    That's sad. I have a friend who has a junkyard in the next county over. He as several stacks of what he calls "disposable cars" piled up for the crusher. Thankfully, "Panther" bodies are not amongst those. He tends to think a lot like those of our ilk...

Leave a comment:

• Mainemantom
    replied
    Not much derby action here either. Way too much crusher action though.

Leave a comment:

• Quincy
    replied
    Not much derby action in SE USA. Some, but very limited. Not like midwest, where everything old with a frame get's derbied!

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    The hood ornament is from a 70s Thunderbird. I have one in my collection. If it is going to derby, I am sure the ornament will end up on ebay soon.
    Ahh. I wonder if derby folks take the grilles out and try to sell them? 82 is a hard grille to come by.

Leave a comment:

• Quincy
    replied
    ...all you knit-pickers: It's a $400 car!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Quincy
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
    Man, I'd like to take this and my shit parts wagon and try to graph together a 2dr. nomad. Lol
    THAT'S the kind of thinking I like!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mainemantom
    replied
    The hood ornament is from a 70s Thunderbird. I have one in my collection. If it is going to derby, I am sure the ornament will end up on ebay soon.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bean
    replied
    Probably went to a derby guy.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    That’s a good project car. Why is it so shiny? I don’t think it’s wet. I think I could save the door. I think this one of the first I’ve seen with the black turn signal/wiper stalks. Very few options on this one. I almost bet it was an AM radio only car with that center dash speaker.
    Good point. No radio in it now. Also has a clock delete plate. Low opt for sure. Someone at one time cut the door panel and put in some speakers...

If your good with body works can fix up that leading edge of the door and blend just into the door itself as they are so big and only paint header panel (or blend into header panel if damage is not severe), entire new fender and blend into hood...hmm thinking about this if paint is original then there would be no clearcoat...so do you go ahead and clear each panel you blend into or blend only using a single stage paint and buff to match? Decisions decisions. Odds are nobody is going to do anything with it so it does not matter.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-06-2021, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tiggie
    replied
    That’s a good project car. Why is it so shiny? I don’t think it’s wet. I think I could save the door. I think this one of the first I’ve seen with the black turn signal/wiper stalks. Very few options on this one. I almost bet it was an AM radio only car with that center dash speaker.

Leave a comment:

• JeffBoudah
    replied
    Man, I'd like to take this and my shit parts wagon and try to graph together a 2dr. nomad. Lol

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Bummer looked like a really nice car.

Looks like the passengers side door is bent back at the hinge area and a big chunk of fender is missing right next to that.

They sure don't bother on explaining damages or put effort into worthwhile photos.

I wonder what hood ornament they put on there. Its none of the stock ones I am aware of.

I like how they mention trailer hitch. Its the type that bolts to the bumper. I see why the rear bumper looks slightly folded down now. lol

Can for sure be made nice again. Lots of work to save the passengers side door (I say save because finding a replacement may be very hard), new passengers side fender, potentially the header panel is cracked because the headlight bezel is obliterated, head light bezel complete with parking lights, bumper stone deflectors, bumper and bumper shock...then paint.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-06-2021, 06:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bnw
    replied
    I am afraid that the smell inside might be horrendous. Also - with a broken gasket, it is probably not going to survive for long in a derby, so maybe it will be spared...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X