WTB: old Nutone doorbell parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: old Nutone doorbell parts

OK this isn't even slightly car related but I know some of you folks have assorted old things kicking around. I'm looking for the longest chime tube on one of those old Nutone long chime door bells. This would be a brass tube roughly 3 feet long and about an inch diameter. early ones used a string loop up top to hang, later ones had a plastic thing. Wouldn't object to buying the complete unit with 2 or 3 tubes (they exist in both forms) and/or the cover. The center tube on the 3 chime units is just a dummy for decoration, only the two outside ones actually ring. These were made from the 50s through probably the early 80s at least.

I've got one missing both the cover and the long tube. Currently the center dummy tube is hung where the long one goes. It works but the tone is wrong.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My house was built in 1955, has a Nutone chime in the hallway. It's box is maybe a foot and some change long and about eight inches wide, two or three inches high. The others I've seen look similar. You mean to tell me there's three feet of copper tubing in there?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've seen the one he's talking about. There's a the box is about 3.5 feet long and a foot wide IIRC. Huge for a doorbell by modern standards. I kinda miss those things. I really like the sounds. Haven't seen one in about 3 decades though.

Good luck on the hunt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The long ones were the delux with better sound. Often they had a built in decorative recesses in the wall to accommodate them.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Oh fancy, much like all the car models offered at the time. "Deluxe." Guess I assumed all the tubing snaked around inside the tiny box I've got. Mine does not work and never has, not sure if the wiring is even there any more for it. Had a new front door put in, they didn't say anything about any wiring, old door frame didn't have one of the ancient buttons associated with it. How hard is that stuff to get going again?
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The tiny boxes are usually just two plates with a solenoid and spring. The solenoid hammers one plate (typically the top side) when the doorbell is pressed and rebounds to hit the other plate (bottom side) when the doorbell is released.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

They are usually pretty easy. Just need the door button, a transformer and the chime to be wired together.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah the small ones have metal plates kind of like a xylophone inside, and a solenoid assembly with a pair of hammers to bang the plates. The long tube ones are quite obvious, they hang vertical from a box up on the wall. The cover on this one would have been maybe 8" wide by about 5" tall and sticking out from the wall not more than 2".

This is what the working guts look like on the old style with the long tubes.

https://youtu.be/C-wrYKgcEts

the small box ones look like this inside

https://youtu.be/YmROyFjML4M

both of those are way long and get into a ton of detail but you can scroll through and see what they look like inside and how they work. I used this guy's vids to get the thing working reasonably in the first place. Supposed to use naptha to clean the solenoid. I didn't have any but I was at a bar with shitty rail vodka so I used that instead. I figure it was close enough to lighter fluid.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember the nutone, my grandparents house had one of those door bells, I'd always be tapping the tubes with something. =-)

Comment

Working...
                  X