1980 Mark VI coupe, NEED DOOR HARDWARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Mark VI coupe, NEED DOOR HARDWARE

Hey, I'm brand new to this forum & glad to find it. I have a Continental Mark VI 2-door.

Need drivers' door latch assembly, striker, hinges. My door won't even close now and theft/vandalism is a big concern.
    Loaned my Mark VI to bro-in-law, came back door wouldn't latch correctly all the time. Now it won't close at all. I had to move the car one day and pulling back in the driveway I braked.. forgot the door wasn't latched shut, door flew open, I couldn't catch it in time and bam now my hinges are messed up to boot. What a mess.

I'm wondering if I can grab the latch assembly and striker off a 4-door Panther body at a junkyard, (LTD/G'marq/Town Car) will that work on my Mark VI? Or does it gotta be specific for a 2-door Mark VI? Like I said, door won't shut.. I got a car cover on it but I'm kinda in the hood & its a matter of time before some punk comes walking by shopping for stereos. Please help..

-Andy (ak253wa@gmail.com)

Your bro-in-law should offer to pay for the replacement parts...
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I think all of the latch stuff is the same on a 4 door if that helps you any. Won't swear to this, but the hinges may be the same as well, at least Lincoln hinges.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanx, that's encouraging. I'll keep my eyes out for a panther Lincoln at the nearby wrecking yards then & hopefully it pans out. If not do u (or anyone) know of any online vendors I could find this stuff at? New or used, whichever.. Keeping an eye on Ebay but so far nothing there..

As far as getting my bro-in-law to repay anything its like beating a dead horse with that guy, not gonna happen but I will say thats the last time I loan my car out to anyone, family or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lincoln hinges are specific. The merc or ford ones wont work.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I would go with hinges and latches from a 4-door Lincoln. I usually find more box Lincolns in junkyards than Crown Vics or Grand Marqs anyways. While you have the hinges out of the parts car I would put in new bushings and pins. With your car being a 2-door the door is heavier so it might cause the old hinges to sag even more. You can get a kit at autozone in the help! section.

I had to replace a hinge on my car from the JY and it was around $24. Make sure you have the right size screwdriver to take out the screws holding it in the door. I stripped two of mine out and had to get a body shop drill out the rest.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

if you have an impact driver, that works even better. Those screws are a bitch. I'm meaning the kind that you wail on with a hammer, not the cordless screw gun type. The hammer kind will not be quite so inclined to jump out and strip the screws.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just for my own knowledge....what screws are you guys speaking of?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	car-door-will-not-shut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1273725

but pretend that the door in that picture is connected to a Mark VI

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                  2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                  2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I see what you are talking about now.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanx for the advice, still working on sourcing those parts but I'm in Tacoma and we're in Super Bowl mode @the moment lol. Confused about the hammer tho, u mean like bang on a regular driver with a hammer? Will a cordless impact drill be any good?

Comment

This thing:

Thinking is the hammer blow will keep the bit in the screw. A cordless impact will tend to want to jump out and round out the screw head if you aren't able to keep it in there firmly enough. I believe the screws are a flat head phillips, not the torx, so they're even more inclined to jump out. Anyone who has used a cordless screw gun to drive in screws will know what I mean about the gun jumping and ripping up the screw head. The tricky part is applying enough force to hold the bit in without just bending the end of the door and causing yourself even more trouble.

Comment

+1 THAT^

I REALLY need to add one of those sets to my collection.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Gotcha. I know what u mean about the cordless being jumpy. So whats that thing called? Would a nearby O' Reilly or NAPA have it?

Comment

edit: correct name: manual impact driver

Last edited by sly; 02-01-2014, 07:09 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X