Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.I heads and intake maniflold

Hi guys,

I was wondering what year the P.I parts where introduced to the gm, i have a 2000 gm. I keep getting different responses, some say 99 some say 01. does anybody know for sure? if not what is the best way for me to tell by visualy inspecting the parts under the hood? i know my intake manifold is black plastic but the front cross on it is metal, i compared it to a 01 interceptor and it looks to be the same part, and something else interesting is that my 00 grand marquis was registerd as a michigan state police car, but nowhere on the title or on the car is it identified as a interceptor. I even found holes on my floor board there there mush have been a roll cage and there is patched holes on my dash in the usual police areas, haha. whould the fact this car was used as a police car even though it may not be a interceptor mean it is equiped with P.I parts? thank you guys.

Robert L.

As far as I know the P.I. parts were introduced to the Crown Vic and G.M. in 2001, and no cars had them before that, not even police cars. The P.I. doesn't stand for Police Interceptor it stands for Performanced Inhanced. Any Crown Vic not built as a police car, would not have Police Car "parts" on it, even if a police department used it. The model designation will tell you if it was built as a police car or not. Although, if it was built as a police car I would expect that to be obvious. As you would see dual exhaust, silicone hoses under the hood, and other dead give- a- ways. You can't always go by how many holes are in the dash and floor to decide if it's an Interceptor or not. I doubt any 2000 G.M. was built as an Interceptor, they probably used that car for something besides regular police work.

The intake manifold you've got is the good one, as the solid plastic ones tend to crack and leak. But that doesn't mean it's a police car. Many of those intakes had to be swapped out when they cracked.
    Last edited by mcninetyone; 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

thanks you for the help, i was not going on it being a police car solely on the holes,ect. there was a pink slip in the manual that shows the car being registered to michigan state police, i then did an inspection of the interior and found common drill holes in the dash and rear deck, i also was able to see where the a-pillar? on the door was patched on the inside and welded and the outside where i am only guessing there was a spot light. i know the car is not a interceptor, as there is no code anywhere on the car or on the paperwork. also if the P.I manifold was swapped into it then whould the heads have to have been to? sorry if my questions seem repetitive or petty but i have alot of performance oriented plans for my gm and i am mechanically inclined to a point but have very little knowlegde about these cars. i dont want to start dumping money into other areas of the car if heads are what need to come first. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
        As far as I know the P.I. parts were introduced to the Crown Vic and G.M. in 2001, and no cars had them before that, not even police cars. The P.I. doesn't stand for Police Interceptor it stands for Performanced Inhanced. Any Crown Vic not built as a police car, would not have Police Car "parts" on it, even if a police department used it. The model designation will tell you if it was built as a police car or not. Although, if it was built as a police car I would expect that to be obvious. As you would see dual exhaust, silicone hoses under the hood, and other dead give- a- ways. You can't always go by how many holes are in the dash and floor to decide if it's an Interceptor or not. I doubt any 2000 G.M. was built as an Interceptor, they probably used that car for something besides regular police work.

The intake manifold you've got is the good one, as the solid plastic ones tend to crack and leak. But that doesn't mean it's a police car. Many of those intakes had to be swapped out when they cracked.
        Although you can only get the silicone hoses on a P71, it was an option that many of the P71s around here did not get.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlugo45 View Post
          Hi guys,

I was wondering what year the P.I parts where introduced to the gm, i have a 2000 gm. I keep getting different responses, some say 99 some say 01. does anybody know for sure? if not what is the best way for me to tell by visualy inspecting the parts under the hood? i know my intake manifold is black plastic but the front cross on it is metal, i compared it to a 01 interceptor and it looks to be the same part, and something else interesting is that my 00 grand marquis was registerd as a michigan state police car, but nowhere on the title or on the car is it identified as a interceptor. I even found holes on my floor board there there mush have been a roll cage and there is patched holes on my dash in the usual police areas, haha. whould the fact this car was used as a police car even though it may not be a interceptor mean it is equiped with P.I parts? thank you guys.

Robert L.
          The dead giveaways that it came with a Police package would be an aluminum driveshaft and a 140MPH speedometer. It is very probable that the State Police simply used a GM for an unmarked car and did not worry about any special P71 equipment. All GM/CV cars came with the supplemental transmission and steering coolers just not the P71 engine cooler. If it did not spend alot of hours idling and accelerating from a stop often, it really would not benefit from most of the P71 options.

Comment

The P.I. doesn't stand for Police Interceptor it stands for Performanced Inhanced.
            Performance Improved. Enhanced does not start with an "I"...

Comment

Performance Improved heads were introduced in 99 on Mustang GT, taking horsepower from 225 to 260. 2001 was the first year for Performance improved heads on panther blocks. Not sure how to identify the heads though... someone on here or the mustang guys should know

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                Performance Improved heads were introduced in 99 on Mustang GT, taking horsepower from 225 to 260. 2001 was the first year for Performance improved heads on panther blocks. Not sure how to identify the heads though... someone on here or the mustang guys should know
                They have the letters "PI" cast into them and they will have '01 part numbers cast into them also....

Comment

I was told the P.I. stood for Performanced Inhanced, and thats how I saw it written. Whether it's spelled correctly or not didn't bother me. As I've seen plenty of car stuff spelled wrong on purpose by the marketing department at the "BIG" three.

I do know the intake with the aluminium front is just the replacement for the all plastic intakes that tends to crack and leak. And I don't think it's part of the P.I. stuff, at least not the replacement ones. But what the heck do I know?

Actually Ford should have said P.I. stood for Police Interceptor, they would have sold a lot more cars and parts that way!!

Comment

I was told the P.I. stood for Performanced Inhanced, and thats how I saw it written. Whether it's spelled correctly or not didn't bother me. As I've seen plenty of car stuff spelled wrong on purpose by the marketing department at the "BIG" three.
                    Ford Corporate neither misspelled it nor printed it that way...

I do know the intake with the aluminium front is just the replacement for the all plastic intakes that tends to crack and leak. And I don't think it's part of the P.I. stuff, at least not the replacement ones. But what the heck do I know?
                    Along with the "Improved" heads cam an improved intake. There is actually more power gain in just the intake swap than the stock head swap. PI intake has zero to do with plastic or aluminum crossover.

Actually Ford should have said P.I. stood for Police Interceptor, they would have sold a lot more cars and parts that way!!
                    They had an actual Police Interceptor Model and did not want to insult the intelligence of the consumer who was sharp enough to appreciate "Performance Improved"...

Comment

Working...
                    X