Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99 Grand Marquis Ignition Issue (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Grand Marquis Ignition Issue (I think)

My 99 Grand Marquis just started doing this yesterday. When going up a hill, and/or under acceleration between about 55-65 km/h it starts to buck a bit. When I let off the accelerator it sometimes goes away.

I'm thinking this is likely an ignition issue (had this problem before I even bought the car, and the dealer changed one of the ignition coils. Problem solved for over 2 years). My car has the Coil on Plug set up, so it had eight ignition coils. So, I'm thinking that the problem is one of the coils. However, they are about $60 each, and don't want to replace all of them. How can I tell which one is pooched? Any other ideas on what this issue could be? Thanks.
    sigpic

Also, I read the shop manual, but it said refer to the ignition and emission manual for daiognostics. I don't have the ignition and emission manual, hense the post.
    sigpic

Comment

check for codes to see if you have a misfire on a certain plug. That's probably the culprit (or the cable connecting to the plug from the coil may need replacing).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Try a straight up tune-up first. Rather than replacing coil packs, just replace the wire from the coil packs to the spark plugs (has a spring in it) and the spark plugs themselves. OEM for your car is Motorcraft platinums.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

my bro had a miss on his late model bullitt, and i'm pretty sure the computer will tell you exactly which cylinder has the miss, if it does.
          -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
          -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
          -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Yup, had it scanned (mechanic didn't charge me. Nice guy), and it was a misfire in cylinder #2. 10 minute coil and plug change fixed the issue. She runs like a top again. Thanks for the help.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X