!993 MGM intermittent check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!993 MGM intermittent check engine light

Recently acquired this car. Has about 71,000 miles on it. It's got the 4.6 motor. Replaced the starter and did an oil, filter change on it, and replaced the stock stereo with a pioneer unit. The more I drive this car , the better I like it. Have put prolly 2-3000 miles on it. A few days ago the CEL came on for a few seconds, then went off. Everything seemed fine, running wise, and temp gauge was ok. Couple days later, it did it again a couple times. Tonight it came on 3-4 times. Usually has come on when I'm cruising down the road. Haven't noticed any running problems, except tonight, at on point, there was some jerkiness when I accelerated after slowing down a bit. Anybody got any ideas. I drive 50 miles one way to work, and would hate to break down to or from.

Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

My guess is that your GM needs a tune-up. Also a good idea to clean out the EGR passages. After this work is done, you should notice improved performance
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yeah... my 93 vic needed the EGR channels cleaned at 100K and again at 160K ish... odometer stopped working at 130K and I didn't fix it for an estimated 40-50K miles. pretty easy job to do with only a torque wrench needed for putting the throttle body elbow and EGR valve back on. I never had any issues with running though. You'll want to pull the memory codes to see what the error was. When I had the EGR channel problem, I got egr low flow codes. If it's a misfire code... you probably need plugs/wires.

Here's pics of the crud that was built up in my EGR channel (Before and after shots)
      Nasty:

Clean:
      Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wow! That thing looked to be plumb full!

Don.

Comment

yeah, had same issue with my mom's 94. Checked the codes it was for EGR. 331 iirc. I cleaned that passage and the codes went away!

Comment

That'll be my next project for sure!

Don.

Comment

Working...
            X