Do I need to change my fiel filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to change my fiel filter?

I recently had to fill my car up with gas because I was very on fuel (less than 1 gal.) and hadnt started it for a couple days and wouldnt start only crank but after I filled the tank back up it started from my house to the store and started again from the store and back to my house and the next morning I go to start my car and began same problem as if I never filled the tank up!(its not the crank sensor)
    My assumption is fuel filter because it probably got contaminated with all the bottom of the tanks dirt and what not. What would you say?Filter or pump?
    Last edited by aigght; 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM.

Filters are cheap. You should do it as regular maintenance anyway. Just throw one on there and go from there.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
      Filters are cheap. You should do it as regular maintenance anyway. Just throw one on there and go from there.
      Ok would I have to remove the pump in order to remove the filter? I have a '97

Comment

Welcome!

You posted in the wrong section. I moved it to the right section for you.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the fuel filter should be on the driver side frame rail just in front of the rear tire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hah, no, nothing so extreme.
            Some guys like to hit the fuel inertia switch, if you can find yours, and then run the engine for a few seconds as it burns off what's in the lines and sputters to a stop-- then you know the fuel lines are empty of pressurized fuel.
            The inertia switch by the way, isn't made for changing fuel filters, the idea is that in an accident in abrupt deceleration or a sharp spin (hence, "inertia," or more accurately a rapid change in inertia), it flips like a circuit breaker and cuts fuel to the engine to limit the potential for fire.
            Other guys like to clamp the lines, maybe not the best as you can definitely crimp nylon. I guess if you find a rubber line somewhere behind the filter.
            The easiest is perhaps just to open the gas cap so there's no backpressure from the tank, avert your eyes when you pop the filter in case, and just let the cup or two that spills, spill.

Comment

thanks for all the advice!

Comment

fuel filter location

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                the fuel filter should be on the driver side frame rail just in front of the rear tire.
                I thought it was located on the passenger side?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                X