Most efficent highway speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most efficent highway speed?

I have an '02 with a 2.73 rear. Combined city/hwy I seem to average out at 20 mpg. I always set the cruise to 60 on the hwy. Would setting the cruise at a different speed (55,65,70, etc) result in more efficiency? Has anyone else played around with this, and if so, what conclusions have you come too?

The lower speed you can go in the higher gear, the better. For most cars that seems to be 55-60 mph. Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with increasing speed.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I was thinking that maybe increasing to 65 I would use slightly more fuel but I will have traveled a farther distance in the same amount of time. For now I'll keep her in the 55-60 range but on a long trip I may do some experimenting.

Comment

You should get the best efficiency right after the transmission shifts into the highest gear. For the AOD, that's anywhere from 40-50. Go 3-4 mph faster to keep from downshifting and that should be the sweet spot. Any faster and all you are doing is increasing engine RPMs and wasting gas.
        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
        Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
        Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
        Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Of course, you will have to tolerate getting places a lot slower too, if you're used to going 70 mph, so it's a trade-off.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....

Comment

I got the best mileage in the 93 vic at 65-70 on flat land... I would think in a whale it would be similar. in the box... it prefers 55-60.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Gearing obviously makes a difference too from vehicle to vehicle.
                Nick

Comment

at the time they were all 2.73 geared. The aero maxed out at 28mpg (26 typical on the highway) and the box got 22 hwy. My in-law's whale gets 24... it has 2.73 as well.

the 93 with the pi swap and 3.55L now gets 22 hwy whether you're doing 60 or 80 or anything in between... the box with the 3.55L rear gets 21mpg at 75mph.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So was I doing it wrong on my road trip?

I got up to 23 or so on the highway but usually about 21.

With my 2005 CVPI, I got up to around 27 on a long highway journey with 3.73 RAR
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

like has been said before... YMMV. Every car seems to have a different sweet spot.

Comment

If you are getting 20 combined you are doing fine. I am doing about 70% highway at 80ish and getting between 18 and 19 consistently
                        Last long trip at 75 - 85 I netted a tick under 25 with AC on entire time
                        04 MGM 2.73 granny gears

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I got 21.7 this past week doing mosty hwy/suburban driving. 40-50 max in the burbs, 60 on the hwy.

Comment

Working...
                          X