Bad head gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad head gaskets?

I have a 98 mgm with 185xxx miles on it. I had it for about a year or so and it's been good. A couple weeks ago I parked it and started driving another car. So I went to move it this evening and it only cranked like a quarter of a rotation and stopped. So I checked battery all good 13.5 volts. Tried starting it again. Same thing. So I put a wrench on the crank bolt and turn it backwords a little. And try the starter again. This time she cranks up and runs a little rough for a minute then cleans out. But exhaust is blowing white smoke or condesation and liquid. Doesn't smell like coolant. Exhaust pipe liquid doesn't taste sweet. I tried it. Are these things known to need head gaskets? Ran fine when I parked it. Coolant is only down slightly. Time for a leak down test maybe? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Nah, only thing that leaks coolant on those is the intake crossover usually.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Can that intake leak internally. Seems like exhaust isn't just condensation. Like 68 degrees when I ran it. Cleared up a lot after hot but still puffed white a little. Never noticed that before when it was that warm outside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

It cracks along a mold line, shooting into the back of the alternator usually. I don't know that it can fail internally due to the way the intake is constructed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the rear of the intake can do that on cyl 8 in just the right (wrong?) way.

check the oil and see if the dip stick is all milky colored. If so, there may be a head gasket or oil filter adapter (the part the oil filter screws on to) gasket leak. If the oil looks fine, it's either the intake gasket or the intake or water (condensation) in the gas and just needs to be run out or the fuel filter changed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oil looks good. Just took it for a drive and it cleared right out. I guess I may have jumped the gun. Looks like just condensation. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X