Ambient Air Temp Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambient Air Temp Sensor

Does the ambient air temp sensor do anything but tell you the outside air temperature? Not that its much of a pain to replace as i just did and from what i see just shows the outside air temperature on my car. Im not familar with the newer cars as i am my 87 so there are things i dont know about on the 02 that have been added like this sensor. As far as its function i only know it reads the outside air temperature. Does it affect the fuel ratio at all like the guy i work with said?
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

AFAIK, the only air temperature sensors that have an effect on engine performance are in the airbox (like mine) or the intake. Where was the one that you replaced? If yours was the one that allows the climate control system to display the outside temperature, I think it gets taken into account by that system if you have (and use) an automatic setting.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

ambient air temp sensor is usually referring to the cabin temp sensor for the AC/heat. As for the outside temp sensor for the digital display... that's only for your comfort factor and has nothing to do with engine performance. The MAF has an internal air temp sensor for that starting in 2002 or 2003. If it's not part of the MAF (you have a 4-wire MAF) there should be a temp sensor on the air filter box next to the MAF.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thats what i thought. Coworker said it had to do with engine performance but i thought it didnt. Nice to see it correct for the first time. Yea i know about the intake sensor in the air box next to the maf.
        2018 F150 XLT 43k
        1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
        1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Working...
        X