Idle sometimes dips low/alternator struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my '94 Grand Marquis, I'm having trouble with the idle getting low. I recently had a remote starter put in, but I don't think that would do it. Basically, the idle gets pretty low SOMETIMES when I'm stopped at an intersection, it won't stall but it will dip pretty low and the alternator will start struggling, lights dim, etc.

Generally all I have to do to fix it is throw it in park, stop the engine, and then restart it and then the idle is high enough to not have the alternator struggle. Why would this happen?

Idle air control getting stuck closed, EGR getting stuck open, or a sensor getting wonky somewhere (like the Throttle Position Sensor).

if your car has high mileage, it could be any of these. Is it throwing a code too?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I do not believe that the car has THAT high of mileage, only 88-90k. There are unfortunately no codes thrown when this happens, no matter how long it goes on for. It has been a couple years since my last tuneup (2 1/2 actually), the last tuneup I did was plugs and wires, and I have never replaced the distributor caps/rotors on the car. Maybe this is just a lack of a tuneup? The plugs I put in on last tuneup were not motorcraft, and I hear these motors can be picky, maybe its time to get some motorcraft plugs and new cap/rotor? I don't think the plugs need to be replaced, since there is only like 20,000 miles on them.

Comment

I'd go with a COMPLETE tune up (probably even plugs) and stick with OEM parts. May be able to get away with non-OEM on the cap and rotor but I'd use good wires and plugs. See what happens after that. Then clean out TB and IAC (or replace it after the port cleaning) and again see what's up. Then, if required, move on to TPS, etc...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

94 should be coil packs, no cap/rotor. So wires, maybe. I'd still check the IAC to see if it needs cleaning before spending any money.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

You're right sly, my bad, it has coil packs. I'm going to do spark plugs definitely, as for the IAC, I'll see what I can do. From what I remember, I was never able to access the IAC to clean it in the first place. I'll hold off on the wires and coil packs until I know for certain that it doesn't fix the issue.

Comment

yeah... the IAC on that intake is a bugger to get to. if you take the elbow (the 90 degree port the throttle body is attached to) off (only need to take the intake tube off and 4 bolts - the rest can remain attached and just placed to the side) you can look at the IAC port directly, along with the EGR channels and valve port. Might be worth it to go ahead and clean that mess out so you don't have to mess with it in another 20K miles. I think the torque setting for those 4 bolts is 15 ft-lbs... I'll double check later. This will require a new gasket though, but at least that's pretty cheap.

Comment

Right on it being a '94 - no distributor. Sorry about the misinformation. I think my mind is going....my "guess" would be IAC. I remember doing it on my Dad's '93 and it was a little difficult to get to but not impossible. Clean the ports and replace it if needed. I would since you'll already gone to the trouble of getting it out.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I'll be doing the spark plugs today to see if that does anything, hopefully it will cure my high speed hiccup as well. I'm not using engine performance as an excuse to get by with faulty electrical parts though, I just know that if I pick up the idle a little bit the car will not struggle with electronics, which leads me to believe that the idle is getting far too low (not shaky though). Possibly a bad voltage regulator? When a car is 21 years old, parts are beginning to fail!!

Comment

I just replaced my iac valve . It took a whole 5 mins . Was only unhooking of electronic plug removing tubing to intake hose an two bolts . Wasn't hard to do at all. My car did this and then just wouldnt idle had to keep my foot on gas to keep her running . New part been on for about two months now and no problems with idle .

Comment

So I stopped at O'Reileys today and picked up the spark plugs, and while I was there I had them test the alternator, the alternator test passed, BUT ALSO THE GROUND CABLE AT THE BATTERY WAS LOOSE. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN A LOT!!! And then while the engine is running the guy goes "You hear that?" And I'm like "No?" And he goes "YOU HAVE A VACUUM LEAK!" And I'm like "what." And he starts putting his hands all over the engine until all of a sudden the hissing noise goes away..what do you know, I had a HOLE RIGHT THROUGH THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR ELBOW. HOLY SMOKES. This explains a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422400570.543354.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1276975

Explains the misfire at high loads and the loose battery cable explains why the alternator was struggling.

Comment

Amazing you found good help at a chain store!
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks like something ate that thing for lunch.
                          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I hate squirrels...

Comment

Looks less like a squirrel and more like a termite.

Comment

Working...
                              X