Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Grand Marquis Bearing Hub Sleeve???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 Grand Marquis Bearing Hub Sleeve???

I have a 2006 Grand Marquis. My driver side front hub started making noise so I went to replace it with a Motorcraft NHUB63 I bought on RockAuto.

The original hub was very tight inside the steering knuckle but I got it out.
    The new one went in easily and didn't fit tight inside the knuckle at all. The knuckle opening seems too big to accept the hub with a tight fit. There was way more play that I was comfortable with.

Turns out the original hub had a spacer / sleeve that fit over the part of the hub that inserts into the knuckle to make it fit tight.
    I had to jimmy the spacer off the old hub and put it onto the new one, and it fits nice and tight like the old one.

I can't find this sleeve anywhere though and there doesn't appear to be a part number for it. What do mechanics typically do? Do they move the sleeve from the old hub to the new one, or just install the new hub without it and rely on the 4 bolts to hold it tight?

They do exactly as you did. Then throw some lok-tite on the hub bolts, torque it and call it good.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

"What do mechanics typically do? Do they move the sleeve from the old hub to the new one, or just install the new hub without it and rely on the 4 bolts to hold it tight?"

I agree with FordMan77. I had to laugh at the question because HERE they would just let 4 bolts hold it on. "Good enough until the car is junked" Very few "mechanics" here do a proper repair, or care.

Comment

Re-use the old sleeve. Just like you did. At least good mechanics. Bad ones would just bolt it in and hope for the best.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Without the sleeve or matching diameters so it pilots in there, its going to be much weaker. The 4 little bolts just are not strong enough to handle the load of an entire car in shear. I'm sure people do just run them in with bolts but that is absolutely not the right way to do it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it's needed, why can't you buy the sleeve?
            I asked the question here because while it seemed the like the right way to do it to me (the move the sleeve to the new hub), it wasn't obvious at all that there was even a sleeve on the old hub. I only went looking for it because the new hub just didn't fit right.

So I gotta wonder why a new hub doesn't come with the sleeve, or atleast the sleeve should be available to buy separately. I can't find it anywhere. I checked multiple videos on how to do the job and nobody mentioned the sleeve at all. So it makes me wonder if something is different about my car (maybe at some point the knuckles and hubs were changed to ones that aren't really the right ones for my car).

Comment

Have you checked with the Ford dealer ? They will need your vin number.

Comment

I've never done a hub bearing on one of these so I don't know. I can just tell you that if it slops around in the hole, something isn't right. Every hub bearing I've ever done has been a tight enough fit that it requires a wire brush and scotchbrite to get the hole in the spindle clear enough to allow the thing to fit in properly.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X