Taller tires for 03 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taller tires for 03 GM

I'm wanting to get taller tires for my 2003 Grand Marquis. Keeping stock rims, same size front/rear, looking at the 215/70R16. It's a 27.9 inch tire, versus the original 26.6. I'm figuring the extra 1.3inch would still fit well in the wheel wells, but wanted to know if anyone has tried this tire already. How did it work, any scrubbing or was modification needed?

I remember seeing someone on crownvicnet saying that 29" tires fit, without rubbing, but it was on a P71 Vic, so it's a bit taller. I'd say the 27,9" tires will fit fine.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

+1 should be no issue except speedo not reading correctly. With that size change, it should read about 3mph slow at 60mph.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Too skinny!

Maybe try a 235/65r16. 28" tall, and just slightly wider than stock. 225/65r16 would be okay too.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          Too skinny!

Maybe try a 235/65r16. 28" tall, and just slightly wider than stock. 225/65r16 would be okay too.
          Plenty of research shows that a narrower tire gets more traction in wet, snowy, or icy conditions, The opposite, wider tires with flat tread get a better grip in dry pavement conditions. Hence why many race cars have wide tires. Tire width selection is always making a compromise between dry traction and wet/snow/ice traction. Research also shows that drivers tend to underestimate dry traction, and overestimate wet or icy traction, causing accidents.
          It's not like I'm going to a 155, the 215 is only 4% narrower than the stock 225. In my area, we have wet/snow conditions 135 days per year on average. I am often out in the morning before it dries up for the day. So I am making my compromise towards better traction in wet/snow.
          I have been fine the past two winters with all-season tires, even with this year having more snow then average, so a set of winter tires may not be worth the cost. In my current set, the fronts got a rounded inner shoulder and need to be replaced, the rear are at 6/32 so it's almost replacement time. I am switching to all-weather tires, the Nokian One, which are all-season with three-peak mountain snowflake rating.
          I've read about people switching to narrower taller tires for better fuel efficiency, so I just wanted to make sure I would not run into clearance issues with these.

Comment

+1 it'll be fine.

Depending on the tire and tread design, it may look a little stretched, but yeah... it's not gonna look like a stanced out truck tire. It should be fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I run P235/55-17 on 7x17 Sport wheels on a 2001, they are 27.2" tall, there is plenty room for more. I considered 235/60-17 rubber, they are 28.1" tall ... but the 235/55-17 have my speedometer "dead on balls accurate" (it's a technical term).

Last edited by tbear853; 05-13-2023, 08:21 PM.
              No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
              X