Hot Brakes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Brakes!!!

Does the ABS system have a temperature sensor of some sort that measures the brake rotor temps? I have noticed that since the EBC upgrade, my brake rotors heat up quite a bit. After being stuck in "stop & go" traffic on my commute home; when I leave the GSP, the car hesitates a bit when I accelerate. The coolant temp gauge says it's okay (below the half-way line); but I will put my Actron scanner on it to get the actual temps. Also, when I get out of the car, I can smell the brakes cooking. This is during the spring and summer days; not during the winter. This only happened after switching to the EBC rotors and pads. So, does the ABS system detect the hot rotors and pull fuel and timing to save the brakes?

No temp sensor on the brakes that I ever heard of.

Do the front rotors and pads match the rear?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No temp sensor I know of either (never heard of any anyway). Pins hanging up maybe or simply the material the rotor and or pads are made of could be the issue.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

sounds like the brakes are dragging to me. Bad caliper, crusty pins, something like that. Doesn't really matter what pads are installed, the brakes should not be hot when not being used.

and no there is no sensor. The system just isn't that advanced.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          sounds like the brakes are dragging to me. Bad caliper, crusty pins, something like that. Doesn't really matter what pads are installed, the brakes should not be hot when not being used.

and no there is no sensor. The system just isn't that advanced.
          This. Pretty much sounds like caliper pins need lube or the caliper isn't retracting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pins sticking would be my first guess. Also, if those are factory brake hoses to the calipers then I would replace at least both front ones. At this age they could be collapsing internally and causing the caliper to stick.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

+1 on the hoses as well. Forgot about those.....agree also on the pins. Has the car sat for a while after the repair? Could account for the issue.
              Last edited by friskyfrankie; 04-05-2023, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Stock hoses. I will get those changed out. Might be a good time to consider fitting sizes and such for the bigger brake upgrade anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                  Stock hoses. I will get those changed out. Might be a good time to consider fitting sizes and such for the bigger brake upgrade anyways.
                  Not a bad idea. Funny how they may look good - from the outside but be deteriorated on the inside and won't let the fluid reach the brakes or travel back.

Comment

easy way to check if its the hose, when the brakes drag, crack the bleeder loose and see if it spits fluid and stops dragging. If neither happens, its not the hose

though if they are 20 years old they're due for replacement anyway
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yah, that was a good suggestion by Fordman77. Plus, I've been meaning to get stock hoses so I can get the fitting sizes. I want to assemble my own brake hoses for the big brake swap; for both cars.

Comment

Are those new brakes ceramics? Ceramic pads are like insulators too, they will move less heat to the pad backing plates and caliper mounts, leaving the heat in the rotors. Friction creates heat, and that heat will seek a path to relief .... either through the rotors or through the pads.
                        No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Semi-metallic. I replaced all the hoses and rear calipers last week. It seems to have alleviated the dragging. I am waiting for the GT500 rotors to come in, so I can install the big brakes up front. That should be the more permanent solution to this problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X