Torque Converter Shudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque Converter Shudder

How bad can it get before the transmission grenades?

'99 Grand Marquis LS, just under 251k

Driving home from Cleveland today, it was horrible. Every time the lockout or whatever would go to engage, constant shudder as long as you were accelerating maintaining speed. Before it just went duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, but now it shakes the steering wheel constantly unless you let off the gas completely or punch the gas to get it to downshift and it's completely smooth.

It's a vibration you can feel in the whole car, not just the steering wheel, to clarify. It's only up around 50-60-70 so I don't think it's a u-joint at all, and it's happening right where the torque converter would be making it's unhappy noise.

So I had to drive home without cruise and constantly adjusting speeds, no doubt pissing off some people driving around me.

Anything I should do besides pouring another bottle of shudder stop down its gullet? I should have checked the fluid level but was too lazy when I got home today. Any advice would be a big help, thanks guys!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

It's not a huge shaking issue, but it's annoying, and I don't want to waste my last AAA call this year on something that could've been prevented.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

the trans won't grenade, the torque converter will just stop turning the trans and the car won't go anywhere.

ask me how I know.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

try some Dr Tranny Instant Shudder Fix

O'Reilly carries it... and most parts houses should be able to get it. just one tube should help. It's basically the friction modifiers that get burnt off from use. If the clutches are already gone... it won't help, but it won't hurt either. Helped that F150 I had. and it would shake the entire truck (but then that was an E4OD... much more heavy duty than an AODE/4R70W).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My mechanic did put a can/jar/bottle in it a year or two ago. Guess it's worth a shot, thanks!

Comment

change the fluid to mercon v, it should go away. If the friction modifiers were topped up a year ago, the fluid needed changing a year ago. If its used up again, it really needs changing. Every 30k.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could the TCC solenoid be going out?.....

Comment

The TC is probably failing, it's not supposed to be adding any "Slip" at those speeds. Real TC shudder is caused by the PCM cycling the TC clutch on/off rapidly to cushion the shock of the early lockup schedule. 3rd gear 25-35 mph and 4th 35-50 mph under light throttle and some load. It used to make the aluminum driveshaft "Ring" on my old 93 P-71 you felt it in your ass, and the vibration was totally regular and fairly high frequency. Lots of other things may feel like shudder, I suspect your U joints are on the way our or the driveshaft is out of balance. Heck my 2001 even shed a fair chunk of rusty metal off the driveshaft which made it feel so bad I drove home. U joints were OK but noticed a large less rusty patch.
                2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Here's the thing, I think I had the fluid changed when I first got the car, 16k miles ago. I may jack the car up if I have time today and try to wiggle the driveshaft, just in case it's the u-joints.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                    Here's the thing, I think I had the fluid changed when I first got the car, 16k miles ago. I may jack the car up if I have time today and try to wiggle the driveshaft, just in case it's the u-joints.
                    Don't want to speculate, but my 97 seems to have that same jerking /shaking/shuddering annoying symptoms, not sure if its bad gas? or torque converter. I pulled no codes, but it does seem to get worse as the motor heats up. I changed the tranny fluid to merc V 10K miles ago
                    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Many transmission problems are bad spark plugs and the like. A misfire feels a lot like a jumpy converter.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just had my plugs and wires changed on my 97 around Dec/Jan
                        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X