2001 GM Steering Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 GM Steering Issue

My 2001 GM had the upper & lower ball joints and tie rod ends replaced two months ago. Where I live is an hour's drive to the interstate, so I've just been doing my usual around town driving. I thought there was something unusual about the steering, but thought it was just the feel of new parts wearing in.

This weekend I took it on the interstate with a buddy along. I noticed a weird behavior. When I ease into a turn, and then return the steering wheel to TDC, the front wheels continue to point in the direction of the turn until I correct to the other side. It's easy to overcorrect and we're lucky we didn't end up in a ditch, or worse. I let my pal drive it for about 10 miles and he noticed the same behavior. It seems worse on fresh, smooth new asphalt than older, well-worn pavement. Feels like the linkage is binding somewhere.

I'm dropping it off tonight at the garage that did the work. Any thoughts on what this could be?
    thanks!

Was the car properly aligned and did they maintain the steering wheel straight on when doing so after the repairs?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Could be the intermediate shaft as well.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
        Could be the intermediate shaft as well.
        pardon my ignorance, is this the shaft between the U-joint and the gearbox, or is it the shaft from the gearbox to the (pittman?) arms?

Comment

the garage sez it's the gearbox, to the tune of $700

Comment

Originally posted by Logman55 View Post
            the garage sez it's the gearbox, to the tune of $700
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

rent pitman arm puller... pull pitman arm... take hoses out of the top of the gearbox... disconnect steering shaft... three bolts and the box drops... replace with new part... Should take about 2 hours. The part is about $200 at a parts house. The core charge is rather nuts. Looks like list is almost $400. So it looks like they're charging list price and 3 hours of labor. slackers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Make sure the steering shaft isn't jacked up. The U joint under the brake booster commonly gets rusty inside and causes the steering to do what you describe. Steering boxes can go bad, but usually when they fail its very loose. The only time it binds like that is if someone cranked the screw on top down. I wouldn't rule that out, so have a look at that. If the meshload adjustment is too tight, the box is bindy and will self-destruct internally. Look for signs that someone may have had a tool on it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My car was doing a similar thing. When I crawled under it, I found that I two broken steering box bolts. when the steering wheel is at TDC the box sits nicely against the frame and all looks normal. but once you turn it it binds up as the box is pulled off of the frame. I'm still looking for a replacement source for mine. Ford discontinued the bolts and there is no Dorman number either.
                  Last edited by shadowhauk; 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM. Reason: mispelling
                  Big Red- 1990 Grand Marquis Colony Park. Red with Woodgrain. Dual exhaust with air shocks.

Comment

take the unbroken bolt to a hardware store or some place like Fastenal. They should have them or be able to order them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X