1993 mgm rear disc brake pad wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 mgm rear disc brake pad wear

Recently put new rotors and brake pads on the rear. Also put new pads and one new rotor on the front. Also put a new brake line from the master cylinder to the drivers side rear wheel. I had noticed an occasional noise, of short duration, sounding like something rubbing as the wheel turns, sounding like from the front left wheel. Usually noticed when wheel turned to the right. Also on occasion notice a moaning noise/ feel of short duration. The other night , when returning from an errand, noticed a smell like wire burning or something. It was coming from my left rear wheel, and the wheel was almost too hot to touch. Jacked the car up and took the wheel off. Noticed from the wear on the rotor , that only about half the pad was contacting the rotor. Looked at the passenger side and it looked the same. Looked at the front wheels and the pads looked to be making full contact with the rotor on both sides. Looked at the inside rotor on the left rear and it also is only making contact with about half the brake pad, except the wear is near the center of the rotor and the wear on the outside of the rotor is toward the outside. I have since taken a couple short test rides and all seems fine , with no excess heat or anything. I don't know what to think. What's causing the pads to wear like this? What caused my left rear wheel to get so hot? Do I need to replace my rear calipers and put another set of pads on? Can anyone sort this out?Click image for larger version

Name:	1993 mgm rear brake rotor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1302909
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

pads arent seated right, pads look twisted in the caliper.

i would replace both rear calipers since they are prob 22 yrs old

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just took a spin around town, and the left rear wheel smells to be fairly warm. Didn't even bother trying to touch it. Guess I'll follow that suggestion to change both calipers. For sure am not gonna be driving it till something is done. Should the pads be replaced also?
      Thanks,
      Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Donal View Post
        Just took a spin around town, and the left rear wheel smells to be fairly warm. Didn't even bother trying to touch it. Guess I'll follow that suggestion to change both calipers. For sure am not gonna be driving it till something is done. Should the pads be replaced also?
        Thanks,
        Don.
        I would - probably already have issues and you already in there. That way, everything is new at the same time.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

What Bobby said! Buy yourself peace of mind, nothing worse than having to do it again because something wasn't done. I started watching RoadKill on YouTube and those guys rebuild junk and get it going. They always do the brakes but what do they always end up going back to replace? Wheel cylinders or calipers or lines because they didn't do it when they had it apart the first time.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            I would - probably already have issues and you already in there. That way, everything is new at the same time.
            Make that "you're already in there"! My mind was on vacation....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Seems nobody keeps parts for this car in stock. Most offer next day. I did manage to get the calipers from an Orly in a nearby town. AZ is gonna allow me to do a warranty swap on my pads, so that was pretty great. They won't be in till the morning. Didn't particularly want to work in all this wind anyway. Looking forward to getting this thing straightened out. Thanks to everybody for all the help.
              Don.

Comment

Working...
              X