Picked up a 1997 Grand Marquis and it needs a rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a 1997 Grand Marquis and it needs a rear axle

The car is in nice shape except the rear coil spring seats are rusted away . Its a 1997 , it does not have antilock brakes . I went looking in some nearby junkyards and found a 1996 with a decent looking axle but it does have anti lock brakes. Mine has an axle code of 58 the one at the junkyard was I thought an H or an M . I took a picture with my phone of the label but its blurred. Will that axle work? I'm thinking it will but I thought I would ask first

They only want $150 for the axle the car only cost $400 and except for the axle and a minor coolant leak it seems fine.

I put a non-abs '92 axle in my 97 for better gearing + TL. Wasn't ABS but it bolted up and worked all the same. You'll just have to tie your sensors up and out of the way and deal with not having ABS if you swap it. Calipers and discs were too different between the years to reuse, so they have to be moved with the axle. I left it all attached with a set of wheels and rolled it to my car, still only paid the axle price from the LKQ yard on some 1/2-off sale day, IIRC about $50-75

That, or wait for the axle with everything.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
      I put a non-abs '92 axle in my 97 for better gearing + TL. Wasn't ABS but it bolted up and worked all the same. You'll just have to tie your sensors up and out of the way and deal with not having ABS if you swap it. Calipers and discs were too different between the years to reuse, so they have to be moved with the axle. I left it all attached with a set of wheels and rolled it to my car, still only paid the axle price from the LKQ yard on some 1/2-off sale day, IIRC about $50-75

That, or wait for the axle with everything.

The car I'm trying to fix doesn't have ABS the donor does have it so there should be nothing to hook up I'm thinking. There were a lot of town cars there but I wasn't sure if I could use an axle from a town car .

I'm waiting for the rain to stop so I can get under mine and look it over better. It seems odd that spring seats would rot out without seeing problems elsewhere. I've owned 2 of these from the mid 80's that had frame rot issues under the drivers door but I don't see that problem on this one.

Comment

abs or non abs are the same really. The ABS ones have a tone ring that won't be used. No worries, just pull the sensors.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by bronco View Post
          There were a lot of town cars there but I wasn't sure if I could use an axle from a town car
          The differences for the drivetrain from a towncar are in the length of the transmission tailshaft (longer for the chassis length). Rear ends are all the same as far as you're concerned. Pull one from whatever CV/GM/TC with the gearing & trak-lok you're looking for, 92-97

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

Welcome to the party!

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
            The differences for the drivetrain from a towncar are in the length of the transmission tailshaft (longer for the chassis length). Rear ends are all the same as far as you're concerned. Pull one from whatever CV/GM/TC with the gearing & trak-lok you're looking for, 92-97
            I'm looking to put a trac-loc in my '95 some time before next winter. Good to know what options are out there.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
            - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
            1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
            1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
            I'll make it fit.
            I own hammers.

Comment

I picked up an axle from a 1995 from the boneyard for $150 yesterday. Of course its raining again today . Do most people take the gas tank out when they do these? There are a lot of bolts I'm going to need a torch on and the tank is right there 4 inches away

Comment

I've never needed more than a breaker bar and impact gun for the swaps I've done, but I life in FL, so no road salt/rust headaches.

Try getting it as high in the air as you can to get under it for some leverage on a wrench. Coat it in PB blaster and let that work for awhile before starting. The fun part is going to be removing and replacing that bolt getting it lined up in the control arm

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

I am working on the new axle in the garage and I need the torches to undo the control arm nuts , the junkyard torched all the arms in half . After the nuts came off the upper bolts came out and the arm stubs came off easily but the lower bolts are frozen to the sleeve in the bushing. I better plan on new lower bushings

I'm in Massachusetts so rust is the general state of everything

Comment

If you need a torch, you need to pull the tank. Unless the insurance is well paid on the garage, in which case you may proceed with abandon.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

always point away from the tank if you don't pull it... but yeah... what Gadget said.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So between work and weather I've been held up but I finally have the old axle out .

Now I'm making a list of what I need and there are a lot of random options.

For instance rear shocks , with or without touring suspension ........ how do you know which it has ?

Rear calipers large piston or small piston ? If I have one of each kind I can tell them apart but if both axles are the same how do I know what I have.

I have 2 axles to mix and match brake parts from. The rotors are a bit rusty but not worn so I may just clean them up , Ebrake shoes and pads need replacement

The original was not antilock , the replacement has antilock brakes.

Control arm bushings don't seem to be available for a reasonable price.

Comment

Regarding the rear shocks, touring suspension is probably referring to the Handling and Performance Package (HPP) cars. For an easy visual check to tell would be if the car had rear air springs, 16" lacy spoke rims, and dual exhaust. If you have coil springs, 15" rims, and a single exhaust pipe, more than likely its just a run of the mill Grand Marquis.

If you fall into the general, non-HPP category, then you're just looking for the regular shocks you can get for these cars. To improve the ride a bit, I'd suggest police rate shocks, like KYB Gas-A-Just ones or similar ones. Those will improve the ride a bit without compromising the overall smooth characteristics.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Doesn't matter a whole lot honestly. Both will fit in there. Touring, HPP and police shocks will be a little bit more firm.

Comment

I finally got the axle in Sunday. Well in to the extent that the 4 control arms are bolted and the coils are in. Now I'm looking at a ABS axle in a non ABS car so I thought I would swap the axle shafts out for the ones without the rings. Maybe I can sell the axles off on ebay to partially offset the cost of the work.

There are so many differences in the brakes that I figured I would strip the new axle ends down to nothing and assemble my way up to a finished state.

Ordering what I can't reuse and cleaning up what I can.

Thanks for the Rockauto link Wolf. I had forgotten about them I used to order a lot of stuff there. I'll get the shocks and brake hoses for sure from them. Calipers and pads I might get locally since it seems like I will need to physically compare what I have in hand to the new parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X