Rear Coil Spring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Coil Spring Help

Today TecNickal and I took care of suspension work on my car. It got P71 shocks front and rear, and received new rear springs.

Now this is where things are going to get a little crazy, but everything can be fixed soon, however, I need to get some stuff sorted so that when it gets revisited everything will be good again. So, I ordered Moog wagon cargo springs for the car since Boxes and Aeros are pretty similar underneath.

Well, those wagon cargo coils work, but it looks like I need to running down a drag strip over regular driving :
    Right after install:

After coming home. P71 shocks are installed on front now and gas tank is full (not the greatest photo):

So the plan is to level it out. I don't think the wagon springs are going to really settle down. So, at this point I have two options:
    1.) Get Moog CC849, the recommended Aero rear spring. It is variable rate with a spring rate of 161 lbs/in and a load rating of 340.50 lbs.
    2.) Get Moog CC817, the recommended Box sedan rear cargo spring. It is variable rate with a spring rate of 165 lbs/in and a load rating of 711 lbs.

For the record, Moog CC819, the recommended Box wagon cargo springs were variable rate with a spring rate of 200 lbs/in and a load rating of 780 lbs. That is what is on the car right now.

What suggestions or recommendations do you have? I just need to figure out a reasonable rear spring that would be suitable for a towing application ~5,000 lbs (general Class III application). I'm already aware of the few things the drivetrain needs for that, but since I'm dealing the suspension right now, might as well finish taking care of it.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-26-2015, 12:13 AM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Do they have a police aero spring? You could always add a horn that blows Dixie and leave it the way it sits.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I've been using Monroe Max-Airs in the rear for about 2 years now and I'm happy with them.

With those you can adjust ride height at will with a simple air compressor.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Do you have the variable rate, or the straight rate?
        If the variable rate, just put something in the trunk as that will squat it immediately. I hated that about the variable rate coils as I tried to get some lift out back (using the wagon springs) but the variable rates + my regular trunk load = just as squatted as before.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          Do you have the variable rate, or the straight rate?
          If the variable rate, just put something in the trunk as that will squat it immediately. I hated that about the variable rate coils as I tried to get some lift out back (using the wagon springs) but the variable rates + my regular trunk load = just as squatted as before.

Alex.
          The springs are variable rate. Typically I don't run with anything in the trunk on a daily basis. I definitely got lift out of these springs, but might need to get something that's ever so slightly softer to allow it to sink down some.

I looked at 1997 Town Car springs (possibly the conversion style that would replace the air ride bags), Moog CC865 seems to be the replacement rear spring recommended for those models. Spring rate is similar to that of the Moog CC849 for the 1997 Grand Marquis, except the CC865 has almost double the load rate. I wonder if that would get it generally level.
          Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-26-2015, 03:43 PM.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Give it a few months. The variable rate springs tend to sag after a bit, and it will probably look less retarded if you give it some time.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 give it a month. My variable rate cargo springs put a silly rake on my 88... it's settled in nicely though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just put some CC817's in my 92. They are hand me downs from my tudor, but beat the saggy ass springs that were in it. I'll give them a few days to settle into their new home, but they sat in the 85 for a few years and have a thousand or so miles on them, so I doubt it will change much.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The rear height on the car looks good. I like the log house !

Comment

Working...
                  X