best bang for your buck tranny cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best bang for your buck tranny cooler

I'm looking to tow my sleds and atv's this winter/coming summer with my 01 MGM LS, and wanted to keep my tranny cool, whats the best bang for your buck transmission cooler out there? Let me know, and if youve got any experience with one in specific that would be good to hear about too.
    all input appreciated, Thanks!

The bigger the better. And keep it stacked-plate design, the typical tube snaking thru the fins setup doesn't work nearly as a good. Also the hell with the bang for your buck thing, right now people ought to be focusing on the most buck for your bang
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Do not go for the cheap part get the best part you will be glad you did. My Dad always told me " your income does not prevent you from buying the best part or other item".

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
        My Dad always told me " your income does not prevent you from buying the best part or other item".
        Right, and I'd love to hear an explanation from your dad about why everyone isn't running $1k air lockers and almost $2k free-spin conversions in their truck axles... Since they are by far the best parts for the application out there. Reality is there is a big difference between ideal super-duper overkill solution, and good enough solution, more often than not good enough is just fine. Applies to coolers as well, there's lots of overprices stuff there that is of a fancy design and execution but does not really perform any better than your cheaper aluminum Chinaman-special stuff.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

If you want bang for your buck... pull a plate cooler off an F350 at a yard.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, used heavy duty truck coolers will work, just flush it very well before using it in case the truck is in the yard because of a grenaded trans.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have had good luck following my Dad's advice as get the best and it payed off in longer lasting easy to fix. I always had bad luck using parts made from China due to poor qt in the slave factory quality control. I always try and get my parts from the stealership better quality control.

Comment

If you want new get one of them Tru-Cool stacked plate coolers, I think the one rated at 24k GVW is the one that is identical to the V10 and 6.0 F350 monstrosity but with universal mounting brackets. The main issue is actually not so much which cooler to buy, but where to put it - think long and hard about where the thing is gonna live before you buy it, as some shapes (say square) may be better to package than others (say short and wide).

As for going straight to the stealership for parts, keep in mind that lots of the same very OEM parts are available thru other vendors, especially for older shit like what we're all about here, so it pays to shop around. Prime example I got "only" $400 in new OEM seals and other such stuff for my front axle, stealership cost was over twice as high and I gotta drive way the heck out there to collect the stuff - yeah fuck that! At the same rate a stealership was who gave me the best price on new tires, go figure. Like I said, shop around, especially if you can find the OEM part number for whatever it is that you need.

Comment

Working...
                X