trans. shift problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trans. shift problems

i have a 92marquis, and i currently replaced the tranny, with a new rebuilt, it was costs, 1975+250(installation), and for awhile now im having shifting problems..
    it seems the engine revvs up before shifting into some gears, very frequent problem..
    if revs are too high, then i will haveto layy off on the pedal and reapply force to pedal..
    when i drive around in just drive, the check engine light comes on..
    i was gonna bring it in to the ford dealership for a diagnosis, would anyone know the problem?
    maybe i need new spark plug wires?all plugs throw a spark though
    or maybe something to do with my torque converter? or even engine problems? i dont know
    any common or simple ideas anyone???
    thanks

I know it sounds wierd but a dirty mass airflow sensor can cause those symptoms. Autozone can scan the codes for free. Clean the maf and see if that helps. I think we have an article here on how to do that.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

is it an AOD or an AODE? some very early 92 models have an AOD, and if the TV cable isn't set right, it can do wierd crap like that. if its electronic, could be the MAF like p71towny said or I think they have something called an MLPS, or manual lever position sensor. Its the doodad on the side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects. If its not set right, the computer doesn't know what gear the trans is in and it might shift oddly.

Failing all else, isn't it under warranty? If so, take it back and complain.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

$2000 for a new AOD/E? You can buy a near bulletproof AOD race tranny for less than $1500
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Agreed. $2000 = too much. Sounds like a tranny problem, like the accululator is sticky. Not letting it shift fast is a symptom of this, and the reving before shifting into gear is a result of this.

Comment

Sounds like a tranny problem, like the accululator is sticky. Not letting it shift fast is a symptom of this,
            The governer controls that part of the line pressure. The accumulators absorb the shock in the lines when the car shifts gears. So when you remove the springs its harder shifts.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Yes, but if the acumulator is sticky it will cause excesivly long shifts. Governor controls when a shift happens, and only has a little impact on the actual shift.

However, testing a governor is pretty easy if you have a spare one.

Remove the drive shaft, and remove the tail housing off the tranny. Then you can swap them right there. Rule out the easy stuff first.

Comment

yeah, it was quite costly for the new rebuilt tranny, im not sure whether it is or was a aod/e or what
                takes about 3mins for the check engine light to come on during a drive, meanwhile it is running in Drive..
                im getting it diagnosted this week from a machine..
                hope it isnt too costly, or maybe i will ask for some help on here on howto install or clean/maintain something if it isnt the tranny itself
                thanks for the help guys :banana:

Comment

If the trans is fucked, you had damn well better beleive i would be taking that fucker back to the shop.

I just paid a lot of change for a rebuild on my tbird, bet your ass i took it back when it broke, but its all better now
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

For you Tom

Shop "what is with all these bits of rubber in the fender wells?"
                    Tom "uhh....that's undecarage spray, not tire rubber. I mean ruber."

Comment

Working...
                    X