1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Headlight Assembly Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Headlight Assembly Removal

The headlight assemblies need to be replaced on my '93 GM. The issues are the clips holding the assemblies in. What tool and method would be best for removing them? I am thinking a bent nose pliers would work? If so, what angle pliers should I get? If that is not the best method of removal, what is? Tried some smaller screwdrivers and regular pliers to no avail. I know I did my friend's '96, several years ago but can't remember what I used to do it. Maybe I just got lucky. The ones on the '93 are most likely original factory ones so perhaps a little PB Blaster, in the area, might also help. Don't want to bend the clips during removal. The floor is now open......
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

IIRC the bent nose pliers work the best on those clips.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I swear i used a screwdriver to pry them off, but they would go flying. Bent nose pliers sounds way smarter

Comment

Dunno how much they changed between the '92-'94 and the '95-'97 lights on the back, but I had to use snap ring pliers to release the little fingers that held the clip in place, then wiggled the clip off. If no fingers, yeah, bent tip pliers would make that a breeze.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I use a combination of flat screwdriver to pry the snap ring pliers clips inward and then use another large flat head or needle nose/duckbill pliers on the top lip to pull up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sounds like a good bent nose pliers should do the job. I have a set of Milwaukee picks but my guess is that invites a clip to the face which should always be avoided! Thanks for the quick responses! Got one coming on Wed. (11" 90 degree) so as soon as I can get back to it I can report.

Comment

And yes some lube in there will likely help a bit with the stiction.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                And yes some lube in there will likely help a bit with the stiction.
                That as well as I forgot to mention that. Have to check one of the bulbs as I turned it in the assembly to where it should come out and it didn't move. Maybe it is just not quite in the right spot so if it proves to be an issue, I'll just disconnect the connector and deal with it when the assembly is out.

Comment

Working...
                X