Switch Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch Project

This weekend I order switches, and start down this road. TW: Panther Butchered...

I have found The Momentary Reverse Polarity Switches I like.
    Lot of (10) Pieces Toggle Switch DPDT 250 V 15A Maintained E-TEN1322 KN3C-203 | eBay

My issues is that I can not seem to find any reverse polarity joystick switches. These are to replace both the power seat, and the power window switches.

The power window switch seems to be the more complicated, and my work around for not finding a reverse polarity joystick switch, is to use two of the above switches, one to control up/down the other to control left/right. Then for the Power window switch the L/R mirror selector controls a single wire Y. So I do not need a reverse polarity switch for that.

I do not really want to use a relay, to make other 12v joystick switches work.

Back Story:
    The car, when purchased looked amazing.... Well The paint job was shot, but everything appeared to work perfectly. Within 3 months all power windows, and ac went out, and I kind of got royally robbed by a mechanic...

Well the switches themselves had been cobbled together, and the wiring had been rigged to work. That is why I cut it all out.
    Attached Files

they're slightly more complex than a standard DPDT switch. they also include a pass-through contact for the windows on the other side to work.

The seat switches do it too, the front and rear tilt pass through to the left/right joystick contacts which are both up / both down. The joystick also passes through so if both switches are pushed at once, nothing happens.

honestly the easiest way to make all this work is to use the switches designed for the job. If the wiring is really jacked, depending where, the right fix may be a donor door harness from the junkyard.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As long as I wire the above aftermarket swtiches correctly the windows, and door locks will work. The tricky part is getting the power seat, and the power mirrors to work. I am willing to buy oem if I have to, but I kind of enjoy a project. The rear door ashtrays were broken, and I plan on trying my hand at some rock inserts and maybe adding an aftermarket 12v usb plug.

Comment

I took detailed pictures, and have already started marking wires for ground, power, purpose, taping the up/ down motor wires together etc.

Comment

I am running out of time, and I think I will just reroute the power seat, and power mirror harness, to under the radio, and where I plan to add my oil gauges, I will put factory switches there. The power window and locks will all be repalced with the above listed switches, and worst case I will just pull wires from the motors themselves....

My only questions is what is the best way to permanently attach stones/ crystals to plastic??? Never tried this, but I want to have fun, and I do not think I will be working on a project to this degree again. I plan to take some choice geods, and using my tile saw, cut out inserts, to cover the door panel switch bezels. That way, I can get rid of any holes, and avoid gaps from these aftermarket switches. Plus I think toggle switches look cooler.

Comment

2 part epoxy like JB Weld... Plastic Welder... etc. Get the color you want and verify it will actually stick to ABS (DevCon brand Plastic Welder has issues with ABS... JB Weld does not have problems). You may have to give the spot a slight sandpaper buff to break the surface and give the epoxy something to grab to with the plastic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I really hate the fact I can't get the good epoxy for floors and projects. They sell you junk, but not the forever stuff. I will have to try the JB Weld. With all the road vibrations I don't know. I think I will have to add some physical fasteners of some kind.

Comment

Working...
              X